What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad does not wake from sleep mode

Niklas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some trouble with an iPad 3G with OS 4.2.

Every time I put it in sleep mode, or if the iPad autolocks and it sleeps for more than 60 seconds or so, I am unable to wake it up using the Sleep/Wakeup button. The only way I can wake it up is by doing a reboot (home+sleep).

This only happens when the iPad is not connected to a power supply, if it is connected everything works.

This makes me suspect that something goes awry when it goes into "deep sleep" to save power and dumps RAM to disk... or alternatively when it restores RAM from disk.

I have tried restoring the device through iTunes but that didn't fix the issues.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Do you have any idea on how to fix it? The iPad was bought abroad, so I think my warranty options are limited.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you given it a good charge? That sounds like what happens when the battery is empty.

OP
N

Niklas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I get this behavior even with a full charge.

JoeyFizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad wont wake up when in sleep mode?

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this a old question, ive been trying to find some information on this problem but not been having much luck.

Basically I received my "Manufacture Referb" iPad 32GB WIFI yesterday, it is great, looks brand new and got it for a fraction of the original price. However I have noticed one annoying thing which I'm 99.9% sure shouldn't be happening.

I have updated the iPad to the latest version 4.3.1, installed several apps and set up the WIFI and email accounts etc. It wasn't until later on in the evening when my girlfriend managed to prize it from my hands that I found out the following.

If the iPad automatically goes into sleep mode or I purposely put into sleep mode and don't touch it for say 5 minuets or so I won't respond when I try and wake it up. I've tried with both the wake/sleep button and the home button but no response. The only way to wake the iPad back up again is to do a reboot holding the sleep/wake and the home buttons together for 10 seconds.

The battery is almost fully charged and I can't understand why this is happening, the is a lot of chatter about this problem online but nothing definitive or any info from people whom have had this problem and how this was fixed.

I have got a 90 day warranty on it but just wanna see if if this is a known problem with a easy fix?

Any solutions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Joe

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens if, rather than putting it into Sleep mode, you turn it off by simply holding down only the Power button for a couple of seconds and then sliding the control to accept the offer to switch off? When it's powered down completely, will it then turn on when you press and hold the Power button only again?

This might help isolate where the problem lies.

Tim
Scotland

JoeyFizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

If I actually turn the iPad off like you describe above it is fine, I can turn it back on again by holding the on/off or sleep/wake button for 2 or 3 seconds. In fact this is what I've been doing so that I don't have to keep rebooting it.

I have also tried, as suggested from info online to restore the iPad through iTunes. However when I try it gives me and error code of 1602 when trying to do this, I believe this is possibly due to some corrupt data for iTunes and/or a corrupt registry file. It suggests removing iTunes from the computer and reinstalling iTunes again but i wanted to see if there was a known fix before I try this.

Also if I was to uninstall iTunes and then reinstall would I loose my apps etc or are they automatically stored in a safe folder?.

Regards,

Joe

JoeyFizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same Problem?

Hi mate, I can see this was posted a while ago but did you ever fix the problem.

I'm also experiencing it, i have rebooted and restored trough iTunes but when the iPad goes to sleep for more than a few minuets it wont wake up and i have to reboot to turn on???

Regards

Joe

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I had a long thing written out, but accidentally click one of the many advertisements that fill these forums and it was all lost. Im not typing it all up again.

go to apple store, they will replace it.

OP
N

Niklas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Joey: As Mikes said -- I went to the Apple store, and after trying the obvious things (reboot etc) they replaced it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

If I actually turn the iPad off like you describe above it is fine, I can turn it back on again by holding the on/off or sleep/wake button for 2 or 3 seconds. In fact this is what I've been doing so that I don't have to keep rebooting it.

I have also tried, as suggested from info online to restore the iPad through iTunes. However when I try it gives me and error code of 1602 when trying to do this, I believe this is possibly due to some corrupt data for iTunes and/or a corrupt registry file. It suggests removing iTunes from the computer and reinstalling iTunes again but i wanted to see if there was a known fix before I try this.

Also if I was to uninstall iTunes and then reinstall would I loose my apps etc or are they automatically stored in a safe folder?.

Regards,

Joe

OK - I'm not sure on this one. I'm hoping someone else in the Forum can answer this. I'd be careful and wait until you get a credible answer. Apps you can download again without charge, but Movies and Music you'd be charged again if you lost them.

Be careful....let's wait a while and see what anyone suggests. I don't want to advise you and then you lose everything....

Tim

JoeyFizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for all your help mate, I managed to sort out iTunes with a simple computer restart.

As for the iPad, still same problem even when restoring to new.

Spoken to Apple and they advised it needs replacing so it going back and being replaced...

Many thanks,

Joe

Most reactions

Latest posts