What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad dev with Flash, pointers, experiences HELP

terraform

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need a very simple app for my iPad for a presentation that I am partaking in.

I am most familiar with Flash and am in no way a coding expert.

The app I have in mind could easily be done in Flash and with my limited coding skill set.

I am having a heck of a time finding resources online on how to go about this.

the proper way to set up your file.
pitfalls to avoid
exporting / compiling / publishing ect…

if anyone has any experience (first hand)
has seen any good tuts or articles
or has any thoughts or opinions either way I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need a very simple app for my iPad for a presentation that I am partaking in.

I am most familiar with Flash and am in no way a coding expert.

The app I have in mind could easily be done in Flash and with my limited coding skill set.

I am having a heck of a time finding resources online on how to go about this.

the proper way to set up your file.
pitfalls to avoid
exporting / compiling / publishing ect…

if anyone has any experience (first hand)
has seen any good tuts or articles
or has any thoughts or opinions either way I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

Unfortunately, the iPad does not support Flash. Even the non-Safari browsers that seem to support Flash, do it by a 'workaround'. I read an interesting article recently giving the reasons why Apple decided not to support Flash on the iPad. The author of the article suggested that tablet computers with only touch-screen (i.e. no physical keyboard) can never support Flash properly because Flash interprets 'cursor hover' - i.e. on a machine with a mouse and an on-screen cursor, hovering the cursor over a link can instigate a number of actions - even if the mouse button is not pressed - perhaps a drop-down menu appears for the user to select from, for example. The author gave numerous other examples of how Flash might interpret 'cursor hover' (he is a professional Flash programmer. You say you are familiar with Flash, so you probably know about these). Since the concept of 'cursor hover' does not exist with a touch screen computer, these sites would not respond correctly to the iPad. In the previous case, for example, the drop-down menu would not appear and the user would be unable to select from the list of items offered.

OK - I know a number of other touch-screen tablets do offer Flash support (and I'm not a programmer, so I'm just relaying what the article said) but it seemed to make some sort of sense to me. I've never used a touch screen tablet with Flash, so I'm unsure of how much of a problem this would be.

OK - sorry to have rambled on so much....

If you want to develop apps for the iPad I've found that, if you go to iTunes, then select iTunes U and then go to 'Universities and Colleges', several of the Universities (i.e. try Stanford) have extensive video classes on how to develop apps for iOS (i.e. the iPad) and they're all free. Of course, you have to sit through an entire semester's-worth of lectures, but you are hearing from some of the best lecturers in the world. Like all good lecture courses, there are moments of humor too...

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

terraform

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim thanks for your response,
and thanks for the info on the University courses @ iTunes

However,
the iOS can support Flash as a development tool but NO BROWSER COMPATIBILITY that is absolutely correct.

From what I understand there are a number of APPS on the store that were created in Flash and Flash CS5 has an iOS export option...

there is a small tut here (add the http, I can't link as I am new :p)
active.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mobile/flash-for-iphone/]Porting an Application to iPhone Using Flash CS5 | Activetuts+

however I would really like some "real world" feedback and make sure I don't start off "wrongly" at the beginning...

This app needs to be just for me and my iPad for presentation purposes
I don't intend to distribute it (just use it to promote my doc film in hopes of better securing a producer...)

Flash is the environment I am familiar with and like I mentioned I am not a great coder so I can't just learn a new scripting language in the next couple of weeks...

Thanks again!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can't help you with the dev question.

But have you taken a close look at the many presentation apps already available? Unless you are doing something fairly unique, there is probably already something in the App Store that will fit your needs.

You've probably already considered this, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

bigchicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash CS5 works reasonably well and is one of the easier things to get running on the iPad. You still need to go through the developer application and labyrinth of certificates and provisioning to get anything on the device though. I would agree with twerppoet that you should look at alternatives if this is just a slideshow presentation. You may even be able to do it as a pdf that you just view on the device. Otherwise, see my post here for a full overview of development options.

mike
:8^]

Most reactions

Latest posts