What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad constantly restarting

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just started having issues. iPad 2 4.3.3 wifi only jailbroken this morning with comex's jb. I rebooted my ipad and when I click on an icon it starts to open, goes black and for a split second I can see what looks like about 6-9 words at the very top of the screen and it looks like it has other words overlaying them, then the screen goes black and restarts. I did install intelliscreen as I bought it for my iPhone and love it but I wonder if that's what is causing the issue as it was loading initially but now I don't see it anymore on the startup screen. Anyone else having issues like this? I have tried just shutting down and a reboot a few times now but no go. I'm guessing I will have to do a restore when I get home and then jailbreak again. Oh, it is also locked in portrait orientation (yes I tried switching the mute/rotate lock button), this is what also makes me think it may be intelliscreen as it is a portrait only app.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've not seen that Intelliscreen works well with the iPad. However, LockInfo and SmartScreen seem to be fine...

But that doesn't help you right at this moment. Your goal is to try to get to Cydia to get that tweak uninstalled. So, if I read your post correctly, you can get to your iPad's main screen? Have you tried to open Cydia?

If that doesn't work, how about accessing Cydia by typing it into Spotlight (and then selecting it).

If that doesn't work - did you happen to install SBSettings? Cause then, you can just see if you can activate it to get to the Safe Mode toggle. If you can get the iPad into Safe Mode, it'll calm it down enough for you to get to Cydia to uninstall that tweak.

If none of these things work, then yeah, you're facing a restore. Good news is, won't have to do too much re-adding of tweak stuff, yeah?

Marilyn

P.S. Oh, and when you get it all straight and have access to Cydia? Get SBSetttings (or Safe Mode Launcher). That way, you'll have access to Safe Mode so that, 99% of the time, you can essentially "turn off" the jailbreak, which will allow you to undo whatever you did to make your iPad have a nervous breakdown. Just a suggestion...

OP
Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330, Yes I have tried to open Cydia but it starts to launch and then everything goes black and restarts. I tried to launch Safari as well hoping I could just re-jailbreak but same result. As long as I don't try to launch any icons I'm fine. I do have SBSettings and when I click on 'More' to select Safe Mode the same thing happens.

OP
Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, just tried respring and it allowed me to open Cydia and remove intelliscreen :D Should I remove the Mobile Substrate as well? Oh, thanks again for your advice, very much appreciated!!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, don't remove Mobile Substrate! That's a programming thing, the details of which require hours and hours of Googling to understand. :) The main thing to know is that is something controlled by Cydia/the tweaks that need it. Us "mere" users don't need to/shouldn't mess with it.

As long as you've uninstalled Intelliscreen and resprung, you should be fine. Just don't try to put it back on! :D

Oh, and for SBSettings. A Safe Mode button is under "Power" (bottom right of SBSettings HUD). Click Power and you get several choices. Don't have to go to More...

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Marilyn

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought Mobile Substrate would automatically put you into safe mode, that's why I asked if you had it installed.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought Mobile Substrate would automatically put you into safe mode, that's why I asked if you had it installed.

Well, although Mobile Substrate can be automatically triggered to have the iPad go into Safe Mode, it won't always (which is why Wookie2CU's iPad didn't go into Safe Mode).

So, having it installed will help, cause it'll protect you sometimes, but not always.

Which is why it's an excellent idea to have SBSettings (or Safe Mode Launcher ... or both) installed. With them, you increase your chances of getting the iPad into Safe Mode, which'll help you stop the iPad from freaking out - so you can figure out how to fix it. Otherwise, with no Safe Mode, you're talking restore.

Hope that makes sense...

Marilyn

caruthersm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, just tried respring and it allowed me to open Cydia and remove intelliscreen :D Should I remove the Mobile Substrate as well? Oh, thanks again for your advice, very much appreciated!!!

Thanks for mentioning the respring you did as it was the only action that got my iPad2 into a state capable of running Cydia so I could removed Intelliscreen. I have SBsettings installed on all my iOS devices, however in my case hitting the sbsettings power toggle didn't work as I suspect the dialog window box that displays the power options was being displayed "off-screen" and I couldn't see or access it. Anyway, the respring toggle worked a charm and got my springboard into working mode so that i could finnaly remove Intelliscreen.

Shame the authors of Intelliscreen don't mention on their Cydia product screen the possibility of an unusable iPad2 following installation - I always scan through product pages carefully to see if there were are comments like this prior to install but there was nothing on the Intelliscreen page apart from a comment saying something like "Intelliscreen will be upgraded for the Ipad soon". I've contacted Intelliscreen and let them know just in case they didn't...

Anyway, thanks again for saving me from a restore!

cheers,
caruthersm

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed caruthersm, thanks to some excellent advice from Marilyn (as always).

This is a great example for those new to jailbreaking the iPad, even if you have previously jailbroken other iDevices, that you MUST be dilligent in reviewing the product descriptions in Cydia. Don't just assume apps and tweaks will work on the iPad if they do on the iPhone...

Always check the product description in detail and always check any release notes or history. Look specifically for the developer adding iPad compatibility. In the case of IntelliScreen it is difficult to know whether it is iPad compatible or not, but the clues are there that it will be, at the very minimum, problematical. It was last updated for 4.2.1 compatability. Whilst 4.2.1 was an iPad OS, it was the first 4.x release for the iPad. Nowhere in the description does it mention iPad at all. In these types of cases you should always proceed with caution and have "safe mode" at the ready just in case. Always be careful of a product that was designed with the phone in mind, e.g. in this case the integration of missed calls and SMS in a key part of the app. That is another good indicator that, unless the developer has made it iPad compatible, then you may run into problems.

You can never be too careful! Paritucalry with your precious iPad2 jailbreak, as if you mess it up and don't have SHSH Blobs it will be gone for good!

caruthersm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup f4780y, I definitely took a chance installing Intelliscreen on my iPad, but you know how it is, sometimes you get a little too enthusiastic and jump before you weigh up the options properly. Anyway, thank goodness the guys here can help me to pick up the pieces afterwards LOL!

OP
Wookiee2cu

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did the same thing, love it on my iPhone and was excited to have it on my iPad but ended up causing problems. It was Marilyn who also saved the day for me :)

socworkr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the same problem I have encountered. However, I can not find a way to "respring". I do not have SBSettings or any other app (which I should have installed). I can not get into Cydia, Safari, Settings, etc, just a few miscellaneous games. I am running 4.3.3 and have tried to jailbreak again, even restore fully, but all with no success. I am reading that a respring will do the job to go uninstall the Cydia that is not compatible. I just did some Cydia updates and BAM. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts