What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad connects to network but not internet. Please help

dlowe402

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am a longtime Mac user and have had every iteration of the iphone. I am on an AEBS network that includes 2 (N) base stations and all of my other devices connect to the internet through them just fine. This includes multiple computers, 4 iPhones (2-2g, 1-3gs, 1-4) and all of the big 3 Gaming Systems. The only thing I am having problems with is the iPad. It will connect to the network just fine but if I try to do anything that is internet base, it cannot connect. Safari gives the following message: "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet". I have been able to and can still connect to the internet on other wifi networks. It just seems to be my home network that is causing problems. I am sorry if this is a repost but I looked and could not find answers anywhere else. Really could use some guidance on this issue.

Thank you.

OP
D

dlowe402

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, got it straightened out. The problem is that my ISP was giving me a jacked up IP address. They had me on a 169. IP and after speaking with several techs at Apple, we figured it out. The confusion was that all my other devices were getting on the internet and the (very helpful) folks at Apple told me that none of my devices should be able to get on with that IP. I had them change it and VOILA!!! everything works. Even my other devices work better. FYI, I am on a rural broadband provider that uses a Motorola Canopy system (Horizon Telecom ctxu.net]) and this was the IP that THEY assigned me. I was, unknowingly having all kinds of problems with my AEBS network as well that were straitened out also. When I spoke with the tech at Horizon, he said "Well I guess that bug finally bit you" meaning they knew that this would cause me problems all along. They just waited until I complained about it. It has been that way wth them for the 5 years I have been with them but what choices do ya have when you live in the country??? OH well, got it straightened out and hope this might help someone else if they encounter this problem. Also, when I referred to the folks at Apple as "Very Helpful", I was serious. They were awesome and didn't treat me like an idiot.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice catch.
It's things like this that get you tearing your hair out before they get fixed.

OP
D

dlowe402

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice catch.
It's things like this that get you tearing your hair out before they get fixed.

Yes it is. I had been dealing with problems associated with this little IP problem for some time now apparently and had no clue. I can now use Apps that allow me to view my iSight cameras while away which I never could before (ProCamPlus). It seems to have straightened out the overall "flakiness" that I was experiencing before. My AEBS network even seems more at peace. HAHA.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it.
It is common knowledge that certain IP address can't be public and can't ever be distribute by Internet provider. It goes also for what we call Private IP address (Like 192.168.xxx.xxx)

the 169.x.x.x address is coming from a Windows service called APIPA (Automatic Private IP-addressing). Where the APIPA is a service to dynamically assign IP addresses to network clients when they can't reach the DHCP server.

So if a computer not connected to the network ( No DHCP Service) , It will get internal an address starting with 169. ( From the Operating system)

And you are telling us that your Internet provider gave an address that start with 169 ??

OP
D

dlowe402

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes they did. I really don't know all of the intricacies of how it works but they installed a Microtik router (that I have no access to) between the antenna and my AEBS I believe that router is what assigned me the 169.x.x.x and they had to change it because it was making my network crazy. The tech at Horizon knew exactly what I was talking about when I called and changed it right away. Works like a charm now. I was not network tech savvy enough to know about the 169 thing and without Apples help may not have.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, Well Well....
This is a 1st to me.
It is so Unprofessional to assign a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address from an external DHCP device ...
But go figure. You learn something new every day, which makes life real interesting.

onebigdart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm having the same problem, i'm getting a "169" address, and can connect to my network as can my laptops and gaming system, but can't connect the ipad to the internet. i have verizon, and am struggling to get them to understand my problem. this will be day three of dealing with this. probably would help a little bit if i could understand them clearly, accents are a bit tough sometimes.

Most reactions

Latest posts