What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad connected to Internet through Ethernet?

Xpdtios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Have anybody succeded to connect iPadAir2 with a cable to Internet through Ethernet?

There are several videos out there showing how to do, but I cannot make it.

Thankful for tips from you!

My equipment:
• iPad Air 2
• Lightning to USB (Apples camera adapter)
• USB till USB (from the adapter to the hub)
• Active USB-hub
• USB to Ethernet adapter (Apples)

/Xpdtios

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Have anybody succeded to connect iPadAir2 with a cable to Internet through Ethernet?

My equipment:
• iPad Air 2
• Active USB-hub

/Xpdtios
There is no way to use an Ethernet connection with the iPad or any other iOS device. The iPad and other iOS devices do not have the hardware or software capability of utilizing an Ethernet connection.

You can connect to the Internet with WiFi, a cellular data connection(with a WiFi plus cellular iPad), or connecting to the hotspot feature from another device such as an iPhone.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My equipment:
• iPad Air 2
• Active USB-hub

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Now, I'd have to agree w/ Scifan..'s post, but because you stated (in bold above) having seen a number of videos, I did a Google search which returned a number of hits (screen capture below of the top ones) - looked at a couple which imply that a 'modified' cable could be used w/ limitations (the second image, a proprietary one discussed in one of the links; quote below from second hit) - now, I'm perfectly happy using Wi-Fi for network connection w/ our iDevices, and not planning to even try a cable connection but if its a need for you, then you might have to be the 'guinea pig' and give the suggestions a try, unless others post who have some experience. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave

If you find yourself in a situation where there's no Wi-F connectivity to a network but there are plenty of free Ethernet ports, what you need is the Redpark Ethernet Cable. This is a modified version of the common USB to Ethernet adapter but this one is different in that it has the normal RJ45 connector at one end of the 7-foot of CAT5e cabling, and an Apple Lighting connector at the other end.
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.09.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 5.09.31 PM.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Now, I'd have to agree w/ Scifan..'s post, but because you stated (in bold above) having seen a number of videos, I did a Google search which returned a number of hits (screen capture below of the top ones) - looked at a couple which imply that a 'modified' cable could be used w/ limitations (the second image, a proprietary one discussed in one of the links; quote below from second hit) - now, I'm perfectly happy using Wi-Fi for network connection w/ our iDevices, and not planning to even try a cable connection but if its a need for you, then you might have to be the 'guinea pig' and give the suggestions a try, unless others post who have some experience. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave

View attachment 68560 View attachment 68561
While this procedure has been known to work, it's not reliable, nor does it always work.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Sparksd - excellent option that I should have mentioned - kind of had 'tunnel vision' concerning a direct cable to the iPad itself. Actually, I've used a travel router earlier in the iPad days when a wired connection was often the only choice - now own two - the first is the Zuni shown below (don't believe that model is now available but did work and still works fine). The second is the RavPower Hub which is the one you linked - still available on Amazon @ a great price (see second image) - SO, a great choice to get Wi-Fi where only an ethernet cable is available. Thanks for adding to this thread - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 10.42.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 10.44.38 AM.png

sparksd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sparksd - excellent option that I should have mentioned - kind of had 'tunnel vision' concerning a direct cable to the iPad itself. Actually, I've used a travel router earlier in the iPad days when a wired connection was often the only choice - now own two - the first is the Zuni shown below (don't believe that model is now available but did work and still works fine). The second is the RavPower Hub which is the one you linked - still available on Amazon @ a great price (see second image) - SO, a great choice to get Wi-Fi where only an ethernet cable is available. Thanks for adding to this thread - Dave :)

Another instance I have found the travel router to be useful is when a place has both wired and wireless available but their wireless signal is poor and/or overloaded. The old wired connections tend to still be available a lot - they just left them in place (usually active) when they added wireless. And though rarer now, there are still a few places charging for each individual connection and this works around that.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another instance I have found the travel router to be useful is when a place has both wired and wireless available but their wireless signal is poor and/or overloaded. The old wired connections tend to still be available a lot - they just left them in place (usually active) when they added wireless. And though rarer now, there are still a few places charging for each individual connection and this works around that.

Good point - another situation that is becoming less common relates to 'in room' (i.e. in a hotel) Wi-Fi use and the policy of charging a fee for each Wi-Fi device being used in the room - thought this practice had disappeared, but happen to my wife and I last year @ the Ritz hotel in Charlotte (seems like the more expensive hotels maintain this onerous fee schedule!) - bottom line, hooked up my RadPower travel router cable and setup a personal Wi-Fi network - I could use my iPad Air 2 and wife her iPhone 6 & iPad Mini for just one charge - success! Dave :)

rej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My equipment:
• iPad Air 2
• Active USB-hub

/Xpdtios
Hi Xpdtios,

Check this link this solution works for me with my ipad air 2 .
How to Connect an iPad to Ethernet

In the middle of the page a video explain how to do.

I think that your problem may be active USB-hub.

Hope this will help because i search almost two weeks to find a solution who works for me !!

Most reactions

Latest posts