iPad concerns the US Government

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Feb 5, 2010.

By iDan on Feb 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM
  1. iDan

Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Thanks Received:
    One would think the US Government has enough on their plate these days. Nope, they'll take a side order of iPad. A new report out suggest the US Government is concerned about the congestion the Apple iPad will cause on wireless networks. Phil Bellaria, a staffer in the Obama administration has recently blogged:
    “With the iPad pointing to even greater demand for mobile broadband on the horizon, we must ensure that network congestion doesn’t choke off a service that consumers clearly find so appealing or frustrate mobile broadband’s ability to keep us competitive in the global broadband economy.â€
    Hmm.. Don't you think AT&T has thought about this? Do you think Apple would select a wireless carrier to provide service for the iPad if they were not 100% confident they could deliver?

Read the full post here: Message from the iPad: Heavy Traffic Ahead blogband – Broadband.gov blog
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Feb 5, 2010.

1. hockey_stick2010
      wonder if canada will have same issue
    2. arshield
      If apple had really thought about it, they probably would not be continually listed as the highest rate of dropped calls and consistently a top reason as why people do not get iphones.

I agree that this probably isn't the forum to deal with it adequately, but you cannot pretend that wireless traffic congestion is not an issue.
    3. john
      That's what we need... Government making decisions for the private corporations... Oi vey.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    4. iVan
      The high number of iPads out there doesn't mean that it's all new users. I suspect that they'll be switchovers like me. My laptops will take a rest. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will be doing as me.
    5. IpadOne
      iVan is not so true , see my example like you my laptop take a rest but the latptop of my wife she let it open but still use her iPad and when she in on the laptop the iPad stay open and for me is the same … so that made one more device connected 100% of the time i am sure they think in that way
    6. cherhall
      I guess there are hidden benefits to living in the country. Even though I'm barely on the edge of AT&T coverage, ive never had a dropped call at home, and the only time I ever do is on a nearby stretch of highway a few miles long. I've always been totally happy with AT&T service. They don't have 3G coverage at my home, but neither does any other company. I have been with Cingular/AT&T since I carried my cell phone around in a bag the size of a hardcover book and had to plug it in the cigarette lighter :)
    7. iVan
      True but even if the laptop is on, there has to be a task being performed on the wifi to justify its obstructing general throughput. Even if all my computers are on and online, unless I'm downloading something, only one at a time will use data.
    8. figmo10
      Why, if wireless service gets broken, of course our government can fix it. There's an app for That!.
    9. epb
      The real issue is a lot of government types use cellular broadband and congestion would impact them personally. They couldn't care less if the public was inconvenienced - they'd expect us to do what you're supposed to do in a free market; cancel and go to a better provider.