What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad compared to Galaxy Tab - My Thoughrs

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Seems like a bad idea to give up functionality. My company issues many devices, including Blackberries, but functionality isn't a prob.

Anything that is connected to exchange email or access to the company intranet will not have as much functionality as BB out of the box, but it's a tradeoff like anything else. Citrix works well enough on the iPhone that I can access pretty much anything on my iPhone as if I was in the office.

I know it's like someone complaining how their new Porsche 911 has less functionality than their old four door Honda. True but not the whole picture.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything that is connected to exchange email or access to the company intranet will not have as much functionality as BB out of the box, but it's a tradeoff like anything else. Citrix works well enough on the iPhone that I can access pretty much anything on my iPhone as if I was in the office.

I know it's like someone complaining how their new Porsche 911 has less functionality than their old four door Honda. True but not the whole picture.

Switching to a "Porsche" indicates there are benefits to be had, rather than herd mentality (which is what I think is what you meant, rather than mob mentality). Maybe they were looking for increased compatibility? Otherwise, if your company's execs and you switched just because lots of people use iPhones, that would maybe signal probs with solid decision-making?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Switching to a "Porsche" indicates there are benefits to be had, rather than herd mentality (which is what I think is what you meant, rather than mob mentality). Maybe they were looking for increased compatibility? Otherwise, if your company's execs and you switched just because lots of people use iPhones, that would maybe signal probs with solid decision-making?

Yes probably herd is the more correct term. I am sure there are benefits to porsches but I don't know of many companies for whom that is their fleet car. companies are run by people with all their flawed decision making and influence from personal spheres. My point is that people do things sometimes only for the experience or for a change. There really is no excuse or does there need to be. In other words I both agree and disagree that there are problems in decision making - yes there is but it's rampant among people.

I don't know of what compatibility you speak of as a reason to introduce a new item into the mix? As i said it was a step back for usability and speed of getting things done. The reason it was introduced has very little to do with reasoning. Much like the choice of car I drive. If everything were the product of reason the world would be a boring place indeed.

The iPhone and iPad satisfy my right brain to a high degree, but for the left brain they leave much to be desired. People always think with two heads (not just guys). It plays over and over that you know there is something you should do but it conflicts with something you want to do. Which ensues in much hilarity in life.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes probably herd is the more correct term. I am sure there are benefits to porsches but I don't know of many companies for whom that is their fleet car. companies are run by people with all their flawed decision making and influence from personal spheres. My point is that people do things sometimes only for the experience or for a change. There really is no excuse or does there need to be. In other words I both agree and disagree that there are problems in decision making - yes there is but it's rampant among people.

I don't know of what compatibility you speak of as a reason to introduce a new item into the mix? As i said it was a step back for usability and speed of getting things done. The reason it was introduced has very little to do with reasoning. Much like the choice of car I drive. If everything were the product of reason the world would be a boring place indeed.

The iPhone and iPad satisfy my right brain to a high degree, but for the left brain they leave much to be desired. People always think with two heads (not just guys). It plays over and over that you know there is something you should do but it conflicts with something you want to do. Which ensues in much hilarity in life.

When it comes to electronics and cars, I research and look for functionality and reliability, so I can't relate to your approach. I want stuff to work as I need it, with minimal effort and cost. (For me wasting time is a cost, so I factor that in.) I think a lot of people are similar, which is why boring Hondas and Toyotas are popular, for instance. Sure, there are some impractical people, but most people aren't willing to put up with inconveniences with daily tools, especially a biz-centric tool like a Blackberry. A four-day outage of service is plenty of reason for unhappy users; no need to wildly guess at herd appeal.

With other stuff -- clothes, shoes, etc., -- I can see being impractical and whimsical. A pair of shoes or a purse that's not practical, no biggie, because I don't wear the impractical stuff day in, day out.

The compatibility I mentioned: I don't know your company; some companies go with what works best for clients' tools, for example.

I've been lucky to work for good companies; for the most part, my company makes good decisions, which is why our profits have continued to rise during these bad years. If I thought leadership were bad, I'd look elsewhere to work.

Last edited:

Martinbowden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have iPad 2 and blackberry playbook

iPad I use at home for surfing and watching movies and a few games works for me but!!!!

Playbook I take to work perfect for spreadsheets great for filling for movies when I have to work away opted for 64gb

So there both great for what I use them for but couldn't live with out both

Most reactions

Latest posts