What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad color depth,

oodanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to know the color depth the Ipad screen has but I looked on Google and got too many different results.
The official Apple website doesn't mention "color depth".

I tried to show a 24bits (16millions) colors picture and the screen display horrible artefacts.

I heard they had a lawsuit about false advertising on the Imac screens before.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple is not including the color depth in the specifications, how can they be accused of false advertising or of attempting to scam the general public?

Please do not start rumors!

OP
O

oodanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm not starting rumors they had a lawsuit about Imac screens, they DID advertise 24bits colors.
And now nothing on IPAD that's why i'm asking.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its not possible, it could be ur misunderstanding..

What? There must a sentence or two missing here.

All the OP is asking for is the color depth of the Ipad. From the Anandtech in depth review, it was stated that the Ipad has a 24 bit screen. The testing done during the review seemed to verify that fact, but Anand wouldn't say for sure exactly what the depth was because he didn't have the specs from Apple. From what I saw in the review, the screen is at least 24 bit.

How did you try to display the picture on the Ipad? How did you transfer it over to the Ipad? If you used Itunes all bets are off as to whether you actually have the original image on your device right now.

OP
O

oodanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I developed an Ipad app which has a video texture on a 3D object. The texture is a video, 16 millions color, no artefacts, and on the ipad screen I can see cuts between variations of colors. (instead of having smooth gradient)
I believe it's not 24bits but maybe 18 ... any clue ?
sorry for my english

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
its not possible, it could be ur misunderstanding..

What? There must a sentence or two missing here.

All the OP is asking for is the color depth of the Ipad. From the Anandtech in depth review, it was stated that the Ipad has a 24 bit screen. The testing done during the review seemed to verify that fact, but Anand wouldn't say for sure exactly what the depth was because he didn't have the specs from Apple. From what I saw in the review, the screen is at least 24 bit.

How did you try to display the picture on the Ipad? How did you transfer it over to the Ipad? If you used Itunes all bets are off as to whether you actually have the original image on your device right now.

It could be that the hardware is capable of displaying 24bit, but Apple scaled it back in the drivers/software to save CPU and battery power. That would explain their silence on the issue.

OP
O

oodanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could be that the hardware is capable of displaying 24bit, but Apple scaled it back in the drivers/software to save CPU and battery power. That would explain their silence on the issue.

I don't think the hardware is capable of showing 24bits colors without jailbreaking to install homemade firmeware....but if so I'd really like to know how.

I can't even understand how it's not been brought up by anyone yet as there are already lots of pro apps on the store. You could imagine that an ad agency would have been struggling with this to display correctly advertised products. I'm working on a car ad on Ipad and the client absolutly needs to have the right colors on his product !

any help appreciated on this. THANKS

Most reactions

Latest posts