What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad class action

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where I live Verizon is the only workable mobile service (quite rural). It had been a forgone conclusion that the minute Verizon offers an iPhone - Whamo - we'll buy at least two. Not now - I'll have to pause, read reviews, make sure things, have been fixed, etc. That's how this kind of thing effects a company - slowly and deliberately.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not everyone will want the bumpers, going with a case instead. As far as it goes, there is nothing wrong with the design, it just affects a larger number than they anticipated, and it got more notice. Probably would have been better if they had orientated the antennae differently on the case.

As for the lawsuit, it ticks me off when people get bent out of shape over not getting $50 for every one they spend. You bought an iPad, not a data plan. The data plan was what was offered by AT&T to help promote the iPad. When someone offers something like this for a sale price, it is not likely they are going to keep it forever. And with all the griping about how the phone companies cannot keep up with the demand for data services, are you really shocked that they could not afford to give it away? And then you get the lawyers involved. You know how a lawyer counts? "One for you, two for me. One for you, three for me. One for you, four for me." The money for them comes out of the future users of services. The company is not going to lose money, they are going to raise the price of services and cut back on upgrades. So you get an even worse deal in the future. The worse case scenario is that AT&T loses so much that they sell out. Do you think that is going to make things better? Verizon will get the iPad and iPhone, but with no real competition. So they do not have to keep prices down. And since they are on a different system, all of your iPads and iphones will no longer work. So you either are force to buy a Drone, or a new iPhone/iPad. Then maybe I will sue you for causing me to lose my service provider.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not everyone will want the bumpers, going with a case instead. As far as it goes, there is nothing wrong with the design, it just affects a larger number than they anticipated, and it got more notice. Probably would have been better if they had orientated the antennae differently on the case.

As for the lawsuit, it ticks me off when people get bent out of shape over not getting $50 for every one they spend. You bought an iPad, not a data plan. The data plan was what was offered by AT&T to help promote the iPad. When someone offers something like this for a sale price, it is not likely they are going to keep it forever. And with all the griping about how the phone companies cannot keep up with the demand for data services, are you really shocked that they could not afford to give it away? And then you get the lawyers involved. You know how a lawyer counts? "One for you, two for me. One for you, three for me. One for you, four for me." The money for them comes out of the future users of services. The company is not going to lose money, they are going to raise the price of services and cut back on upgrades. So you get an even worse deal in the future. The worse case scenario is that AT&T loses so much that they sell out. Do you think that is going to make things better? Verizon will get the iPad and iPhone, but with no real competition. So they do not have to keep prices down. And since they are on a different system, all of your iPads and iphones will no longer work. So you either are force to buy a Drone, or a new iPhone/iPad. Then maybe I will sue you for causing me to lose my service provider.

Not true! I live in a rural area so when I was deciding whether or not to buy a 3G what pushed me over the line was the fact that I could go with the minimum plan - or none at all. And then if I travel I can switch over to (or be reminded to switch over to) the unlimited plan. A month after taking delivery they change the plan. That is an unethical business practice - period. Go look at the Keynote announcement and how Steve was emphasizing the plans.

OP
F

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I liked the idea of the iPad and I bought the 3G version over WiFi BECAUSE OF the advertised unlimited, no-contract data plan. I'm not to blame for AT&T's inability to meet their promised level of service and, although I know that nothing lasts forever, ending the plan after a few weeks just doesn't pass the smell test.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where I live Verizon is the only workable mobile service (quite rural). It had been a forgone conclusion that the minute Verizon offers an iPhone - Whamo - we'll buy at least two. Not now - I'll have to pause, read reviews, make sure things, have been fixed, etc. That's how this kind of thing effects a company - slowly and deliberately.

(current Verizon customer)
I was dying for a iPhone for the loooongest time, until the Droid phones popped up. And I could not be happier. The iPhone is just catching up with HD Video taking, and high resolution screens.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
somethings smells fishy, I dont have 3g but hell yeah I would join, I dont like AT&T they have pulled scams like this before, and now are tarnishing apples reputation..

This was a big part of their advertisement and ppl bought the 3G for this reason and then week later they drop it?? Its like at&t saying,"to late sucka, you signed on the dotted line"

You better believe there should be a huge lawsuit, I hope AT&T suffers for this and goes bankrupt (never happen, I know)

and as for apple, their colors are now showing, its obvious they knew about this, its like their doing business with the mafia (at&t)..

too bad lawyers are gonna get the most of all $$$$$ while customers get pennies, but thats usually how it always goes...

phenixagom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like what AT&T did but to me, if I was the judge, I would throw this case out as a fraudulent lawsuit. If you don't like the product, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you. If you have a 3G and bought it with the unlimited data offer, then you still can sign up.

I bought a 3G because maybe in the future I wanted data, or when I travel overseas. But I also wanted the GPS with it also. I think it sucks they are not doing unlimited anymore but it's their company and if I don't like it than I can buy a different product.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I can see the lawsuit tending towards AT&T more than I can see Apple. They control the data contracts, not Apple. Did Apple know they were changing plans? Who knows conclusively? AT&T is the direct party that DEFINITELY had knowledge of the change.

kensteele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like what AT&T did but to me, if I was the judge, I would throw this case out as a fraudulent lawsuit. If you don't like the product, then don't buy it. No one is forcing you. If you have a 3G and bought it with the unlimited data offer, then you still can sign up.

I bought a 3G because maybe in the future I wanted data, or when I travel overseas. But I also wanted the GPS with it also. I think it sucks they are not doing unlimited anymore but it's their company and if I don't like it than I can buy a different product.

you are missing the point. i bought the radio for $130 extra because it had value to me at the time; now today, not so much value. if on july 1st, att says sorry we can't afford to offer month-to-month. from now on, you have to sign a 2-year ipad data plan with a $1000 cancellation fee.

fine if they do that, they do whatever they want. but now i have a $130 radio in my ipad that i am stuck with and for me, it's no longer worth it. att lured me into buying this extra radio with a sweet deal that i can't even use anymore. i thought paying $130 for a radio was good as long as i could go unlimited. i made that choice. if att backs out, i should be able to back out as well. if att refunds me $130 and disables the radio in my ipad permanently, i'll be fine.

so sure att can do whatever it wants. but i can sue if i feel damages. i feel $130 is a small price to pay for occasional unlimited and month-to-month. take away unlimited and the radio is only worth $50 to me. add a 1-year contract to it and the radio is only worth $10 to me. that's fair isn't it? who's going to make me whole?

if the wifi-only unit price = wifi + 3g unit price, this would would be much less of an issue. i realise att said ymmv but if the damages are significant or unusual, you're going to have lawyers who will seek to point this out in court.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And what is to prevent you from selling it on eBay for a profit, then buying a wifi model? If you bought one before they cancelled the program, you have options. You can be on the unlimited plan by staying on it, or you can spend less money for a plan that is very good. With the wifi availability increasing, there is little that this will actually affect. And anyone who would use more than the 2GB/month should have no trouble justifying staying on the unlimited plan.

This is about people trying to get something for nothing. Lawyers love that and one good lawsuit can make them a living for a long time.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are reasons why consumer protection laws exist. For one - they exist to prevent the business criminal a$$holes from screwing the average consumer. But kensteele has an excellent point. This lawsuit is not fraudulent - just look at the keynote speech with Steve showing the slides of the data plans - he sure as hell was hyping the plans as the next best thing since sliced white bread - the crowds oohhing and awwwing. And Apple sold millions of the 3G's - partly because of the flexibility and the unlimited usage of the data plans. This is just wrong - and BOTH Apple and ATT deserve to get their knuckles broke in court over this.

Last edited:

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But Apple benefited from the fruits of the deception. Whether or not Apple was wronged will be between Apple and ATT in court.

Most reactions