What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Class Action

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the end, the customer doesn't (and shouldn't have to) give a crap what issues you have with your partners. For example, if you build a widget and market it, but rely on ACME Corporation to supply a crucial part of your widget, and ACME Corporation screws you over, that means nothing to the customer. In the end you promised them a widget, and couldn't deliver. It's not the customer's fault that you went into bed with a crappy corporation.

Same thing here. Everyone and their mother knows that AT&Ts network is already overloaded and crappy in many areas. It's just the facts...and even if you have zero issues, there is definitely an issue because everyone talks about it. Their 3G network is already bogged down, and I don't buy the "Apple had no idea how many they would sell" nonsense. Apple is one of the biggest tech companies in the world. They pay people to come up with a pretty good idea of how much they are going to sell. They wouldn't invest millions if not billions into R&D of a product if they didn't feel it was going to sell a bunch.

So it's not the customer's fault that Apple decided to stick with AT&T, the world's probably shittiest carrier both in coverage and customer service. Apple offered the iPad along with the rate plans and by the time some people got their iPad the terms had changed.

That's complete BS.

I don't have a 3G because I would never buy anything that required AT&T network to operate. That being said, people are right in being pissed.

However, just like another poster mentioned, they will never see crap. In the end, they might get like a 5 dollar iTunes gift card. I guess you never know though...years ago when the Mazda RX8 first came out, Mazda misrepresented their horsepower claims on the car. It became such a fiasco when people realized the car was way underpowered that Mazda had to offer people the option to bring the car back with no penalty.

Even if they punish Apple like 50 million bucks, that's a drop in the bucket compared to what gross they have made on all these iPads thus far.

mariopoli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No grounds yet for law suit

You have to have an actual loss in order to prevail in a law suit. As far as I know all IPAD 3G owners still have the option to purchase the unlimited plan. Is there even one IPAD 3G owner who has not been able to purchase the $30 unlimited plan? Is there even on IPAD 3G owner that has cancelled the $30 unlimited plan and not been able to re-sign up for it. If and until this occurs there are no grounds for any law suit because there are no losses to ask for compensation for.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are incorrect. One of the selling points was that you could start and stop your 3G service at a whim with no termination and no startup fees. So now, someone like me, who might deploy for a year or something, would be stuck in the shitty plan when I got back.

Some people bought because they knew there was no mandatory 2 year contract like a phone.

Wolffmann34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe that Apple's only fault here was not having a contract in place that forced AT&T to offer the unlimited plans.

AT&T of course just underestimated both the number of iPads that would sell and how much data each person would use. They had to limit the data plans to not overtax their severely out dated network.

mariopoli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matth,

You can still start and stop the 3G service on a whim without any start up fees. There is no mandatory long term contract.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you mean to tell me if I buy the 3G iPad and get the unlimited data plan (the old plan) TODAY...and then next month I CANCEL the service...and then start it back up SIX MONTHS from now, they are going to give me the original unlimited, unrestricted data plan then? I highly doubt it.

Most likely if you keep the data plan they will grandfather you in...but once you cancel/change/upgrade service they will hammer you with the NEW data plan.

I'd almost bet a paycheck on it.

mariopoli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is about filling a class action lawsuit for misleading advertising or breach of contract. You can not sue someone in anticipation of them doing you wrong. You have to incur the loss first. I agree that what Apple and AT&T have done is unethical but in my opinion what they have not done anything illegal yet. We don't know what they are going to do in the future. I agree with you that it does not look very promising.

OP
F

facebookfrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is about filling a class action lawsuit for misleading advertising or breach of contract. You can not sue someone in anticipation of them doing you wrong. You have to incur the loss first. I agree that what Apple and AT&T have done is unethical but in my opinion what they have not done anything illegal yet. We don't know what they are going to do in the future. I agree with you that it does not look very promising.

What are you talking about? As a matter of fact you can no longer (A) sign up for the unlimited plan or (B) go back to the unlimited plan after taking a break for a month or two with no service. You can confirm these two statements by calling your local AT&T store.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. And you CAN sue based on that because some people bought the device with the specific cancel and start up in mind. So now their hand has been forced to either keep the service or get screwed over.

Technically you could sue to return the device if you wanted. Honestly that would be the easiest way around it, for Apple, is just to say - hey, you got screwed, if you want to return the device we will take it no restocking fee. False advertisement.

mariopoli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone can post anything on this Forum. That does not make it a fact. Please show it to me in writing from AT&T that you can not re-new the unlimited plan if you stop it.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(rolls eyes)

I'd bet a paycheck on it. That's the way you get grandfathered into things. That's why all the articles state for the phones that you can stay in the unlimited contract UNTIL you upgrade, change, or delete your service. You think it's going to be any different for the iPad?

So two years down the road if you want to reactivate your 3G at 20 for unlimited they are just going to let you go ahead with that? Nope.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AT&T launched two new iPad data plans on Monday, however it remains unclear when the unlimited data plan will be removed as an option. The company previously explained that current subscribers to the unlimited data plan would be able to keep those terms of service on a monthly basis until they stopped renewing the plan.
;) For you, in writing.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every contract, from every carrier, has small print that states that the carrier can change your plan without notice. There is not a legal guarantee that if you sign up for unlimited service, you will continue to receive it for eternity. Just like if you had an analog cell phone, you had to switch to digital service years ago, and get a new service plan.

OP
F

facebookfrank

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone can post anything on this Forum. That does not make it a fact. Please show it to me in writing from AT&T that you can not re-new the unlimited plan if you stop it.

In writing?!?!?! Its been in writing for weeks... If you need FURTHER "proof" just CALL YOUR LOCAL AT&T STORE.

Every contract, from every carrier, has small print that states that the carrier can change your plan without notice. There is not a legal guarantee that if you sign up for unlimited service, you will continue to receive it for eternity. Just like if you had an analog cell phone, you had to switch to digital service years ago, and get a new service plan.

I understand what fine print is but this is a case of bait and switch.

EDIT: Why are we arguing about this??????????????????????

Last edited:

Most reactions