What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad chillin in Hong Kong for 3 days?

iPadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 has been showing up on the tracking as being on that island now. Hoping it leaves there later today which I guess will actually be tomorrow over there as it's late PM there now. Can't really complain as I ordered it on Friday and it was engraved and shipped already by Monday. I've shipped thousands of packages by FedEx with no problems. Now if it was UPS or DHL I would be worried... If FedEx has a delay there is a legit reason such as a volcano eruption closing an airport. With UPS and DHL I'd routinely see missed delivery deadlines with no good reason for it.

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 has been showing up on the tracking as being on that island now. Hoping it leaves there later today which I guess will actually be tomorrow over there as it's late PM there now. Can't really complain as I ordered it on Friday and it was engraved and shipped already by Monday. I've shipped thousands of packages by FedEx with no problems. Now if it was UPS or DHL I would be worried... If FedEx has a delay there is a legit reason such as a volcano eruption closing an airport. With UPS and DHL I'd routinely see missed delivery deadlines with no good reason for it.

In most of the developed world, namely, the UK, richer parts of the US and europe, UPS is the faster one, they handle more, they are on time more, granted either company can have issues with trucks or planes, as I ordered an ipad 1 in january and itw as delayed in hong kong for 2 days b/c of a flight issue. I just ordered an ipad 2 on march 11, engraved, so it won't ship til later this week, but my smart case and digital av adapter are in transit and in the local fedex facility in hk...ups has better customs efficiencies, they deliver on time, more of the time...the only reason fedex would be better is you're near the beginning of a residential route...mornings are business, or are am delivery ,which adds costs, so most people don't do it...I have had my fair share of both companies delivering, and both with am, or first delivery....by 10 30 am...etc...this was the ONLY TIME fedex came close to ups...beating them once in the 12 years I've been buying stuff on the internet....

Amazon uses DHL and Prestige shipping...both of which, I refuse to use as prestige ruined every package they have delivered (contractor drivers...meaning prestige handles to independent contractor who delivers)...dhl sits in your driveway for 15-20 mins..that's pissing me off...deliver it and leave..some things I buy are for the g/f...and a surprise...

dlwhitt52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered two on Friday and both have yet to ship. I ordered them separately, and he fist was to be shipped in approximately 5 business days, which would be Thursday. For some reason, the second one was to be shipped in 1 to 2 weeks. I also ordered covers for each, and the second one has already shipped, even though the date of arrival changed from March 18 to March 22. I'm assuming he first one is delayed because it is leather. So it seems I will have a iPad2 cover to look at ... while I await the actually iPad2.

applegeekheads

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should I worry My iPad 2 hanging out at Laungi whatever island it is for a couple days projected shipment date March 22nd 2011!
Mines arriving at 4:30 P.M March 22nd Afternoon Delievery!

Last edited:

iPadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again, FedEx and Apple did a great job. The iPad 2 I ordered with engraving on Friday shipped on Monday and I had it in my hands in California by Wednesday morning.

I was going to be out much of Wednesday and noticed on the tracking that it arrived at the local FedEx station Wed morning. I called and asked if I could pick it up. They said they would look for it and call me. 45 minutes later I got a call that I could pick it up. 10 minutes after that I had my new iPad 2. Try getting that kind of service with UPS!

Maybe in other parts UPS is okay, but in Southern California they are bad. They smash up packages, deliver too late, miss delivery deadlines, and do not make ground deliveries on Saturday. I avoid UPS whenever possible. Horrible customer service too. Switched to them at my work for a small cost savings and that lasted about 2 weeks and we switched back to FedEx. The poor service was not worth the very little savings. The last 3 large packages delivered to me by UPS I had to return because UPS smashed them up.

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting that some of you are getting your iPad 2's so quickly. I ordered a Wi-Fi, 32, black at the Apple Online Store mid-afternoon on 3/12. I'm expecting a delivery date of April 15th? :confused:

ChuckinSC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting that some of you are getting your iPad 2's so quickly. I ordered a Wi-Fi, 32, black at the Apple Online Store mid-afternoon on 3/12. I'm expecting a delivery date of April 15th? :confused:
Please disregard. I see that the orders were from last Friday, the 11th. Brain lapse!

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm glad I came across this thread. My Ipad has been chillin in Hong Kong for 24 hours now.

I called Federal Express. They have no idea why it has been sitting there so long.

dlwhitt52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't get it. I ordered two iPad2s the first day, Friday, March 11. The word originally was that it would take 5-7 days to ship. Next thing I know one is scheduled to be delivered March 22-29, the other on April 6. However, nothing has been shipped, except for the blue cover (i ordered a red leather one as well), which chilled in Hong Kong for three days but is finally in Anchorage, Alaska now. But it is strange that folks who ordered the same day as I did now have theirs. What was the point in ordering online it its going to take a lifetime to get it. By the time I see it, the iPad 3 may be out.

Last edited:

Tresource

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad2 ordered at 2:30am on the 11th shipped on the 17th and still sits at Fedex on Lantau Island, HK. Waiting patiently. Due to arrive Massachustts on the 23rd by 4:30pm. We will see.

Rotorhead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lost in Space

Tresource, my Ipad must be sitting in the same shipping container as yours. Mines been getting a "Check Mark" as being at Lantau Island, HK for 3 days now. I might give a call Monday and ask.

Regards
Steve

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is possible it is in alaska awaiting customs clearance, I have had things hit alaska, clear customs and leave alaska in 2 hours...it takes that long to clear customs...I know you're all impatiently waiting, hell, I am too...just don't be down...these ipads are in containers with 50-100 each probably, and if they don't scan it properly it will show up as HK untill alaska scans it...this happens a LOT with fedex, more so than ups....

Morticia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband's ipad got out of Lantau Island BEFORE the AV adapter even though the ipad shipped AFTER the AV adapter! But my green cover shipped via UPS Ground from Tennessee....

Go figure :) It's the joys of customs! But once the 2 pieces got to Alaska, they were here
next day.

Most reactions

Latest posts