What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charger verses iPhone charger

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad outlet charger is twice as big as the iPhone outlet charger, are they interchangeable or is the iPad charger bigger because it requires more amps? Will either be damaged if they are swapped?

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
The iphone charges off of 5V, 1Amp while the iPad charges off of 5V, 2Amp. I've heard mixed theories as to whether charge the iPhone with the iPad charger or vice versa would damage either device or not. One thing is for certain, though, is that if you charge the iPad using the iPhone charger the iPad will charge, but just more slowly. I've been stuck in situations where I needed to use my iPad charger to charge both my iPhone and my iPad and I haven't experienced noticeable damage to the phone (if it's been damaged at all). I think just to be on the safer side of things, though, it would probably be best to use their respective chargers.

Mbspears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad charger good for iPhone 4

Ipad charger is fine for iPhone 4, but not the other way around as described by another poster. Always check for the two amps if you are going to buy a 3rd party charger or it will charge horribly slow. Most PC USB ports are also only 1 amp, so that method will charge very slowly and usually not much at all if the iPad is on.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sales geek radio shack told me the charges don't have an amp rating because it is meaningless. Be careful when you buy them. If the package does not say 2 amps, don't buy it. Even the sales geeks get confused about this.

Nate

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad will charge fine on a 1 amp charger or 1 amp USB port when it is turned off. It will charge a lot slower than if the 2 amp charger were used.

The iPad appears to draw over 1 amp when it is turned on so it will not charge on a 1 amp charger when turned on. It will however, discharge at a much slower rate than it would if not plugged in the 1 amp source.

Last edited:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad charger for iphone and i see no problem.

lloydkuhnle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydkuhnle.com
The iPad outlet charger is twice as big as the iPhone outlet charger, are they interchangeable or is the iPad charger bigger because it requires more amps? Will either be damaged if they are swapped?

5 volts is 5 volts. Therefore an iPad charger cannot damage the iPhone. The current rating merely refers to how much current the charger can deliver to the load. The iPhone requires less current than the iPad, therefore a charger capable of delivering more current, will charge the iPad faster.

jfm001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just to add to the discussion,
I have a few ipods and an ipad in the house.
While it is clearly demonstrated that the lower wattage chargers do not charge the Ipad (or do so very slowly), i've also discovered that the cable from the ipods seem to restrict the charging speed on the ipad.
I spent a few days trying to figure out why my ipad was taking 10 hours to charge (with the 10W adapter) I changed out the cable (to the one supplied with the ipad)and the charging speed dramatically increased. The cables look identical so it is easy to mix them up

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I do believe the iPad charger CABLE is dif then and iPhone/iPod cable, CABLE I'm not talking about the charger yes those are dif as already stated but the wires them self are also. It could be for many reason the, simple one is that they have improved through time, naturally. I believe that the newer wire iPad/iPhone4 transfer data faster and can charge faster than say an older wire iPhone/iPod wire

I have also noted (correct me if I'm wrong) that the iPad wire is slightly longer than the iPhone one? I keep mine labeled now so I can know. Because I def feel that I see a dif in performance. Any thoughts?

Lisajo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad and iPhone 4 the iPad plug is smaller but the wires look the same, how do I know which came with the iPad?

lloydkuhnle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydkuhnle.com
Yes I do believe the iPad charger CABLE is dif then and iPhone/iPod cable, CABLE I'm not talking about the charger yes those are dif as already stated but the wires them self are also. It could be for many reason the, simple one is that they have improved through time, naturally. I believe that the newer wire iPad/iPhone4 transfer data faster and can charge faster than say an older wire iPhone/iPod wire

I have also noted (correct me if I'm wrong) that the iPad wire is slightly longer than the iPhone one? I keep mine labeled now so I can know. Because I def feel that I see a dif in performance. Any thoughts?

It is possible that an older cable, (Pre iPad), could be a factor. It's possible that the older cables could have been made with thinner gauge wires. A longer cable, with thinner gauge internal wires, would have a greater voltage drop under the load of an iPad, (which draws more current). Wire does have a finite resistance. The load of an iPad would cause a larger voltage drop between the source, (the wall outlet), and the load, (the iPad).

Ohm's law states that E=IR. Therefore R=E/I. (R = resistance, E = voltage, and I = current)

Therefore, the more current being drawn, the more voltage will be dropped through the wire, which will cause a slower charge, since the iPad would not be getting the full 5 volts.

jfm001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad and iPhone 4 the iPad plug is smaller but the wires look the same, how do I know which came with the iPad?

The Iphone cable "feels" thinner
the best way is to plug in each cable to the Ipad for an hour and see which one charges faster. The original Ipad cable should charge significantly faster
With my incorrect (ipod) cable 25% to 75% charge took about 12 hrs.
the correct (ipad) cable took much, much less time to charge

Most reactions

Latest posts