What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Charge Problem

thematrix225

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey every one I am a new owner of an iPad and had a question involving charging it. I am a windows owner and this is my first apple product. How ever upon my first attempt to charge it my, iPad said "Not Charging" next to the battery symbol. I soon discovered that you can only charge it with the USB to wall adapter that came with it. If you have this same problem or have an answer please leave a response.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's not a problem, just how it works. The iPad requires more "juice" than a USB connector on a computer delivers. Even though it says "not charging" when connected to your computer, it really is, just really slowly. Hope this helps :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey every one I am a new owner of an iPad and had a question involving charging it. I am a windows owner and this is my first apple product. How ever upon my first attempt to charge it my, iPad said "Not Charging" next to the battery symbol. I soon discovered that you can only charge it with the USB to wall adapter that came with it. If you have this same problem or have an answer please leave a response.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

As already stated by Jeeper - this is NOT a problem; the AC adapter that comes w/ the iPad provides 10W of power (basically 5V x 2A); older USB ports cannot provide this amount of power, however, a smaller charge (which takes longer) will still provide 'some' charging but the iPad will indicate 'no charging' (maybe there should be an intermediate indication?) - bottom line, use the appropriate adapter for the fastest charge!

BTW, on the road I take an iPad & iPod (which has a 5W charger) - just take the 10W ipad one which is fine for the iPod (quicker charge) - let us know if these posts answers your questions? If not, post again other concerns - :)

feflosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have also an iPad charge problem, but with the charger which comes with the iPad. Since a few days, impossible to charge my iPad 2 with the charger. Only possibility is to charge it via the usb cable. It takes a while then to fully charge the ipad and it requires à pc. I saw on french forums reports on similar issue. Any idea?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, I have also an iPad charge problem, but with the charger which comes with the iPad. Since a few days, impossible to charge my iPad 2 with the charger. Only possibility is to charge it via the usb cable. It takes a while then to fully charge the ipad and it requires à pc. I saw on french forums reports on similar issue. Any idea?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

You seem to be stating that the charger that came w/ your iPad is no longer working - correct? Think of each component as a potential problem, i.e. the AC socket being used, the charger itself, the USB to iPad connector, and the iPad.

First, try another AC socket (and make sure the one you are using is 'hot' - wall switches can turn them off?). Second, do you own another Apple device, such an iPod; if so, give the charger a try - I use the iPad charger for my iPod all of the time. Third, detach the USB cord and see that it will connect your iPad to the computer to sync (if so the cord should be OK).

If all of the above seems to be OK, then you may want to 'borrow' a power adapter and see if that works, if so your problem is solved - of course, taking all into an Apple store, if available in your location, will allow them to easily figure out the problem.

My final suggestion is whether the issue may be in the iPad - you might want to 'Restart' and/or 'Reset' the iPad - Directions HERE - good luck and please post back if none of these suggestions help - good luck!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

feflosta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bonjour,

Thanks for taking the time to help me to solve this issue. Quick feed-back: this morning I plugged my ipad into the AC charger and it worked! Actually it's not the first time I experience such behavior. Quite strange. Otherwise, yes I did have a systematic approach before to post my concern: I used another USB cord, I checked the electric socket on the wall, I reset, even re-initialized the ipad: it didn't work. The only thing I didn't try so far is to use another AC charger.

To summarize, it works now, why I don't know. If it happens again, I'll try with another AC charger.

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts