What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charge faster if turned off?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so let's recap...

62 posts ago, Marie asks, "Will my iPad charge faster if I turn it off?"

Most people said that in the grand scheme of things, it really does not really matter.

So then in Post #11, this guy says that it is not possible to charge an iPad that is completely off.

No one can charge any iPad that is completely off! It must be on in the sleep mode to charge.

So because some of us dare to disagree with him, despite what actually happens with our iPads in the real world as verified by me and by others, we are all morons who shouldn't be handling electrical devices.

That about sums it up!

Any questions? Take out a #2 pencil and a blank piece of paper and get ready for a quiz!

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So then in Post #11, this guy says that it is not possible to charge an iPad that is completely off.

!

But it is, because I do it. I turn it off. Completely. I know how to do that, and I know it IS off.

I just wanted to know if it charges faster. Off.

Perhaps he is thinking in technical, scientific terms....or something. So our off is not HIS off.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Errrrrraaaargh! What a day at the shop... My battery's drained... Guess I'll go charge up... But I won't turn myself off!!!
Rofl_3e.gif

I'll recharge in sleep mode...

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it is, because I do it. I turn it off. Completely. I know how to do that, and I know it IS off.

I just wanted to know if it charges faster. Off.

Perhaps he is thinking in technical, scientific terms....or something. So our off is not HIS off.
Oh no he was quite clear, no mistake about that. He made a bold yet ignorant assertion and when called on it dug in deeper. Then played the always-fun-to-watch "this is my last post" card which is another way of saying: "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home." Whaaaaaaaa..... ;)

Michael

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh no he was quite clear, no mistake about that. He made a bold yet ignorant assertion and when called on it dug in deeper. Then played the always-fun-to-watch "this is my last post" card which is another way of saying: "I'm taking my bat and ball and going home." Whaaaaaaaa..... ;)

Michael

Oh. Well ~ you all were confusing me!:p But you and Scott agree with each other, right?

browneyedman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
batteries

Claims of 1000 charge cycles is pretty lofty, but, even if it is close, like you said: That would be using the ipad everyday for 3 years....that in itself is exemplary .....

Yours Truly
Captain obvious

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Well maybe I owe 4phun a teeny tiny itty bitty bit of an apology... maybe!

I decided to let my battery drain to the point where it shut off the iPad and do a full recharge. (I set the auto-lock to never and just left it on) So I plug my iPad into my charger and as expected, it turned on. So then I go to turn it off because we have all decided it will charge faster that way, right?

So I drag the red slider and it shuts off... and then comes right back on! WTF??? What I discovered was that when your battery level is in the red zone, it will keep turning itself back on. It is not until your battery is in the green zone that you can shut it off completely. Apparently the iPad does indeed need to be on up to a certain point until there is enough battery power to do whatever it needs to do.

Crap! I hate being wrong! It happens so rarely (unless you talk to my ex!) that I am just not quite sure how to handle it. I think I need a counselor!

He still could have been a wee bit more diplomatic in some of his responses, but then again, I have been somewhat less-than-subtle in some of my responses too. Maybe I didn't like his responses because he is too much like me!

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I drag the red slider and it shuts off... and then comes right back on! WTF??? What I discovered was that when your battery level is in the red zone, it will keep turning itself back on. It is not until your battery is in the green zone that you can shut it off completely. Apparently the iPad does indeed need to be on up to a certain point until there is enough battery power to do whatever it needs to do.
So, could this mean that a sizable charge needs control and monitoring from the processor?
Crap! I hate being wrong! It happens so rarely (unless you talk to my ex!) that I am just not quite sure how to handle it. I think I need a counselor!
That was a truly honest move you did to bring the subject up like that, Scott! That means a lot in my book...:)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, monitoring of a hefty charge by the iPad could be for fire prevention?

I still vividly remember that some Sony batteries and some phone batteries could burst up in flames. Computer controlled charging could help. If I remember correctly the iPad has a built-in thermometer.

Most reactions

Latest posts