What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charge faster if turned off?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope you weren't waiting for us to settle this before charging your iPad!

hehe.... by now she could have charged it via a cheap solar charger, on a cloudy day. ;)

Michael

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mslammers; First and last post on this discussion: 1. I read it all with interest and then decided to experiment a little. I plugged in my running iPad to the charger [not my computer said:
. It started charging.
2. I unplugged and turned the iPad completely off using the Red Slider switch.
3. I turned on the charger using the switch on the power strip I had it plugged into. It turned on.
4. I waited about a minute and then held the Sleep button down until I got the Red Arrow. Slid it to the right and sure enough, the iPad turned off completely.
5. I went to bed. When I rose 8 hrs later the iPad responded to the bottom front button and showed 100% charge. It was on. Maybe the 'charging fairy' came by during the night.....?
Anyhow, most of this doesn't matter as someone stated earlier.
Happy Holiday

My last post. No one on this planet can charge a totally off iPad. The only way an iPad can connect to a charger and stay totally off is if it is one hundred percent charged already. We are talking about charging the darn thing and the only way an iPad will charge is if it on with the little CPU running the charging program. Plug in any iPad that is only partially charged that is totally off and it will come one and start charging with the screen off. If you turn off a partially charged iPad that is already connected to a valid charging cable and charger, it will awaken with the screen off and charge. It is a fail safe Apple design made to be used by even idiots.

If you can not understand that then perhaps an iPad is too advanced for you, go back to the etch a sketch years for your tablet fix. Etch a Sketch, I am told, will work without ever having to be plugged in!

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My last post. No one on this planet can charge a totally off iPad.<snip>
Please excuse me for snipping and skipping the rest of the post since I refuse to waste time on nonsense.

Now here I will destroy the above absurd assertion. And I will do it right from the iPad Users Guide. Page 24:
"If iPad is extremely low on power, the display may be blank for up to two minutes before one of the low-battery images appears."

Guess what that means? The iPad is OFF. It needs to charge before it can even turn on. I mean WTF is so hard to understand here? It is not rocket surgery. And, WORSE, this is EASY to duplicate. Let your iPad drain till it shuts down. You won't be able to turn it on. Go ahead and wait till you only get a blank screen. Then charge it. Viola! After around 5-10 min it will magically TURN ON (yep, cuz it was OFF). And I don't mean just "turn on," I mean boot up from being off. Not the screen suddenly turning on. If you haven't done this, please don't waste anyone's time by refuting that which is easily reproducible

And Apple would be FOOLISH to not have charging circuitry for when the battery is too low to power on the device. That would mean, ahem, that you really would have a brick by merely draining the battery. Once. Does anyone with an IQ above room temperature really think Apple is that stupid? I sure hope not.

Michael

browneyedman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
batteries

I'm new here so please bear with me. I've been an electronics technician for 25 years and have seen all kinds of batteries. There are a lot of factors that come into play with lithium batteries. Remember that they have anywhere from 300 -500 charge/discharge cycles. So I like to use my devices to the max before recharging them. Also as to whether or not it makes a difference if your device is on, it should charge faster with it off, mainly because while it is on if is using battery power to run the ipad. BUT this may be an insignificant amount.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also as to whether or not it makes a difference if your device is on, it should charge faster with it off, mainly because while it is on if is using battery power to run the ipad. BUT this may be an insignificant amount.

Thank you! And welcome! Don't take all this personally, if they come back and "discuss" with you.:D

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also as to whether or not it makes a difference if your device is on, it should charge faster with it off, mainly because while it is on if is using battery power to run the ipad. BUT this may be an insignificant amount.

Thank you! And welcome! Don't take all this personally, if they come back and "discuss" with you.:D

Yeah what she said, Welcome...

@Marie you sure opened a can of worms! :D:D

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new here so please bear with me. I've been an electronics technician for 25 years and have seen all kinds of batteries. There are a lot of factors that come into play with lithium batteries. Remember that they have anywhere from 300 -500 charge/discharge cycles. So I like to use my devices to the max before recharging them.

With Li-Po/Li-ion batteries a recharge cycle is a complete charge cycle, but not necessarily in a single setting. It also does not mean you need to fully use the device so that the battery is nearly drained in order to get a complete cycle. Li-Po's can and should be topped off. There is no need--in fact it is generally ill-advised--to let them run down completely. A cycle isn't wasted if you top them off: charging to 100% a Li-Po that was at 75% capacity only counts as 1/4 of a charge cycle. So if your charged four times like that it would only equate to a single charging cycle.

Also, the statement that they only "have" 300-500 cycles is not correct for the iPad. The iPad's battery is rated at 1,000 cycles. But that doesn't mean it is for sure ready for the trash bin at that point in time: it only means that after 1,000 cycles you can expect it to only hold 80% of its original capacity. So instead of 10 hours you might get 8. Keep in mind 1,000 cycles is using 100% of the iPad's battery, every day, for three years.

One note about draining completely. While that is generally ill-advised for Li-Po's, it is actually recommended by Apple to do this once per month. This is not really to help the battery directly but to help the iPad calibrate the battery. It doesn't help you if the battery has 12% left in it if the iPad thinks it is dead: it will shut down. Ditto for the reverse: you might not get a full charge if the iPad thinks the battery is fully charged when in fact it isn't. Calibrating, by running the battery down completely, then fully charging it can ensure this does not happen. Or how Apple puts it: "For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down)."

OK captain obvious. ;)

Michael

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plug in any iPad that is only partially charged that is totally off and it will come one and start charging with the screen off.
No it won't! Do you even own an iPad? If you turn off your iPad with the red slider bar (I don't think there is any other way to turn it off) and then plug it into the charger or USB port, the Apple logo will appear in the middle of the screen and after a few moments, the lock screen will appear at which point your iPad is ready to use.

If you turn off a partially charged iPad that is already connected to a valid charging cable and charger, it will awaken with the screen off and charge.
While still connected to a charger or USB port, you can turn your iPad off with the red slider and it will stay that way until you physically wake it up by holding the Sleep/Wake button.

It is a fail safe Apple design made to be used by even idiots.
I asked you once to quote the source of your information and you failed to do so. Where are you getting your information because it obviously is not coming from your personal experience with an iPad.

If you can not understand that then perhaps an iPad is too advanced for you, go back to the etch a sketch years for your tablet fix. Etch a Sketch, I am told, will work without ever having to be plugged in!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I paid $500 for my iPad so I think I will just keep it and see if I can figure out how to use the darn thing!

bush-dumb-look-scratching-head.jpg

But one more question... how do you clean WhiteOut® off the screen????

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is what Marie found in her fortune cookie the last time she ate Chinese --

can-of-worms-491x305.jpg

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In looking through this thread there really is just one person who spewed the incorrect and ignorant "info" that got 1991-C4 and I going. Apparently he won't be replying here again so it should calm down. Unless he is wrong about that too. ;) (No it is not iVan :))

Most reactions

Latest posts