iPad Case Reviews

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by iDan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. CGPanama

CGPanama
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I received the Apple iPad case today. Here are some thoughts:

It fits snugly around the iPad. Don't need to force it in. All ports and buttons are easily accessible. The material is neoprene like, and makes carrying the iPad feel a bit more secure that the glass and aluminum. The weight is not noticeable when added to the device, which can feel a bit hefty at times.

The front cover folds backwards into two positions, the first being completely folded over. This allows for holding the iPad as a table, though it can be a bit awkward due to the thickness and the added bump of the insert tab. Which brings me to the tabbed fold. The front cover is hinged about a quarter way through allowing it to fold and the edge of the cover inserted into a tab on the back of the case. This forms a narrow wedge shape allowing the iPad to be propped up at about a 75 degree angle. Not functional for use, but good for viewing. Thanks to the auto-rotation, lying the wedge down quickly turns the ipad/case combo into a keyboard/monitor. A big improvement over working with the iPad flat on the table, though still a far cry from a traditional keyboard and monitor for look and feel and ergonomics.

The biggest problems for me are the additional flap that emerges from the central fold. It seems to serve the sole purpose of providing stability for the case when in the upright wedge. But can get in the way in other situations. The tab insert on the back, like any clip on the back of a phone case, can get make for an awkward grip at times, but is low enough profile to only be a minor annoyance.

I am still waiting for my keyboard dock, which I hope will come in handy for lengthier typing sessions. I am curious if Apple gave enough thoughts to whether or not an enclosed iPad can still fit into the dock. I am loathe to get in the habit of frequently removing the case.

Anyway, it is good enough for now for me to stick with and wait for something else to come along that exceeds the Apple case in quality and functionality.

2. brhon

brhon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Hey CG, the Apple case will not fit in the dock with the case on. After pulling my iPad in and out multiple times I can see that there could be a durability problem with where the seams are glued. I have only come across one case that is advertised as being able to fit most docks, who knows if this is true.

3. webfocus1@gmail.com

webfocus1@gmail.com
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Been planning to buy a case for my iPad. But i'm a little confused on what to buy. Can anyone give some inputs.

4. Ellie

Ellie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I love the case. I am able charge in case and will return I pad dock because I don't need that. I bought a beautiful over s the shoulder purse. It is light weight, leather and folded case with pad fits nicely. I have other pockets for misc. It is just a nice womans handbag and no one will no what I am carrying. That is if my DH stops telling everyone about my iPad:D

5. Ellie

Ellie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I don't know why you would be pulling pad out of case. You have all the slots for everything and don't need the dock. Of course if you bought keyboard dock I can see that is problem. :)

6. brhon

brhon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I bought the regular dock- I didnt like the looks or the functionality of the keyboard dock. I want a case that I can sit into a dock. I love the feel of the Apple case-it is just easy removing it. It also does not fit well into the Incase Travel Kit I bought. I am going back to Apple store to take another look this afternoon.

7. Ellie

Ellie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I love the apple case. Took my iPad on the town in it's snug case closed like a book. Slipped into my over the shoulder bag and took it shopping with me (with my grocery list on it) it was in my over the shoulder handbag and no one knew what a great electronic brain I was carrying :D

8. GHII

GHII
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I ordered a Case-mate Walkabout, I will post pics once it gets here..(probably Sat)

9. TheBaron

TheBaron
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    This is the type of cover I'm leaning toward, however it seems there are tons of manufacturers making them and I can't decide which is the best one for the price. Can you tell me how snug the Soft Silicon is? Does it line up well with all the buttons and speaker holes? How thin is it?

10. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I am looking for the thinnest decent shell I can find. I don't want to distract from the metal cover, but since it scratches easy, I want to have some protection. Probably a hard shell rather than a soft shell.