What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Camera Connection Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaak27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to extend the memory of the iPad 3 (64GB internal memory of which 30GB used).
I bought the Camera Connection Kit and a 32GB SDHC memory card.
I put 28GB of MP4 video's on the card.
However when I connect on the iPad nothing happens.
The iPad does not see any of the MP4.
Why would this be?
What to do in order for the iPad to see the extra memory?

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.
From previous posts I believe you need to do the following

SD card should have a folder called DCIM, install the files in that folder and give them all a name exactly eight characters long using their original extensions ( avi,mp4,jpg etc etc)
Eg
11111111.avi
abcdefgh.avi

See if that works
It did for pics I downloaded from web, I imported them as above.

L

Lunar

If you copy the movie into a folder called DCIM on the SD card it will then show up as the previous poster correctly stated.

However, you cannot play the movie from the SD card, the only option you get is to delete it or to import it to your iPad, which sort of defeats the object if the idea is to save memory on the iPad. At least thats what happend when I tried it.

I put a small movie onto the SD card, copied it into a folder called DCIM on the card, and I could see it on the iPad under camera section, but could'nt see any way to play it without importing it to the iPad first... I'd love to be proven wrong here... but it appears you can only import files from the SD card to the iPad, not play them directly from the SD card...doh :-( 'Everything has to be imported to your iPad before you can play it' I know..pathetic isn't it.

So basically, you could put several movies on a SD card in the DCIM directory, and you can play them but only after it's been imported to your iPad, I suppose you could import 1 movie.. watch it, and then delete it then import the next movie when your ready to watch it, I cannot see any other way round it.. There is NO way to play directly from the card. :-( IMO this severly limits the usefulness of the camera kit.

Love to hear otherwise.... anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennykrane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Yes your correct , tried it my self and you do have to import the files to play them.
Can't find any other way, unless there is an app designed to read the files direct from the card.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get an air stash A02. More $$ but also more flexibility.

L

Lunar

Get an air stash A02. More $$ but also more flexibility.

I assume thats something like my Seagate Goflex Satellite wifi drive, which gives a extra 500gb of external storage, but everything can be played directly from the drive. I must have about 200 films on mine so far and literally tons of songs, and it's nowhere half full.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lunar said:
I assume thats something like my Seagate Goflex Satellite wifi drive, which gives a extra 500gb of external storage, but everything can be played directly from the drive. I must have about 200 films on mine so far and literally tons of songs, and it's nowhere half full.

Yes, they are similar and each has its own pros and cons. I don't recommend the goflex mainly because I don't own it. I think they have improved it a good deal since last year when I bought one, but returned it due to problems it had then. I understand that the first version of the air stash had problems too.

eKindom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.
From previous posts I believe you need to do the following

SD card should have a folder called DCIM, install the files in that folder and give them all a name exactly eight characters long using their original extensions ( avi,mp4,jpg etc etc)
Eg
11111111.avi
abcdefgh.avi

See if that works
It did for pics I downloaded from web, I imported them as above.

same suggestion. and if you want to change some apple accessories you can go this :
Accessories for Apple, Repair Parts for Apple, Online Store | eKindom.com

uiplayer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps your ipad is version 4.3 or above . some Camera Connection Kit only support IOS 4.2 or below.

SamIAm666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what you do:
1. Jailbreak
2. install iflile from Cydia
3. name your movies so that they have exactly 8 characters
3. Install FlexPlayer from the app store (you'll need to purchase a decoder for avi and other file types later - $7.99)
4. Put your movies on an SD card and plug it in (when your ipad opens the picture viewer just close it).
5. Open ifile and navigate to your Flash Drive, then DCIM, then whatever your camera calls the folder (mine is 100Canon)
6. When you tap on a video you'll get a list of things you can do with it. Obviously choose FlexPlayer. It'll take a bit of time to load. (If you are playing a non-free file format, this is when you'll have to pay).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input; we always appreciate members helping each other out.

However, this is an old thread. Either the original poster has found the answer elsewhere or has moved on (last post was in June 2012).

Therefore, this thread is closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts