What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Camera Connection Kit ?

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually, so long as photos are in a folder labeled DCIM, though there have been some exceptions.

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on which iOS you are running.
3.2.* yes it works fine.
4.2.1 they removed access to USB sticks from the camera dongle.

Just another reason NOT to update your iPad.

Macgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on which iOS you are running.
3.2.* yes it works fine.
4.2.1 they removed access to USB sticks from the camera dongle.

Just another reason NOT to update your iPad.

I was never able to access my USB sticks in 3.2

OP
N

NITROFC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received the kit now wondering why I cannot copy all of my pics from my PC via SD card and upload to my Just received the kit now wondering why I cannot copy all of my pics from my PC via SD card and upload to my iPad. Seems like it only works better when I take pic from a camera

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just received the kit now wondering why I cannot copy all of my pics from my PC via SD card and upload to my Just received the kit now wondering why I cannot copy all of my pics from my PC via SD card and upload to my iPad. Seems like it only works better when I take pic from a camera

As mentioned above, files must be in a directory called DCIM, that's where the camera stores images.

Having said that, the Camera Connection Kit is intended only to upload camera files from the DCIM directory on an SD card to the Photos app. All you can to from there is view or delete the images.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
when you say a "DCIM" directory, is that simply a folder called DCIM or something more intricate?

You simply create a folder on the SD card called "DCIM" this seems be enough to fool the iPad into thinking that the card is from a camera. Apparently it doesn't always work though.

Any such files will only be available in the Photos app or any apps that provide access to the "Camera Roll" (or is that "Film Roll").

If you connect your computer to the iPad as a disk drive you will see that a folder called DCIM is created on the iPad. I guess this is the "Camera Roll". It contains a sub folder, for each import session, containing the files with recognizable names. This it the only part of the iPod file system that I have found that is exposed for file copying etc.

Most reactions