What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad bumper case?

r34p3rex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any ipad bumper cases? I'm looking for a bumper similar to the one for the iphone 4. I just ordered a front+back decal so I don't really have a need for an entire back shell :D

If not, what's a good clear back shell you would recommend?

Wally Gadget

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also Want an iPad Bumper

Dude you said it. I want some incredible artwork on the back of my iPad -- tons of surface area to show off a nice skin!!

But those skins give my iPad no protection to speak of, so is it too much to ask for a protective case that will cover just the perimeter of my iPhone? Luckily I have found 2 so far, and I am still looking.

At handhelditems.com you will find:
zCover iPad gloveOne AP1AH Dock-in-Case Silicone Ruggedized Bumper Case, Black
Problem: The back of this case appears to cover much more of the back of your iPad -- and your artwork on the skin -- than is necessary. About a third of the back is covered up. If your art is the Starry Night print by Van Gogh then you could get away with having the large, rugged piece of rubber on there. But for a lot of artwork you want to see the whole picture -- so to speak.

A lower profile item is out there that shows most all of the back of the iPad, but it looks cheap and luckily is cheap in cost.
At hdaccessory.com you will find:
TPU Acrylic Case and Screen Protector for Apple iPad (2 Pack)
For 15 bucks you get 2 different colors, and I think they have numerous colors. Worth trying as you try to match your artwork with it's "frame."
Problem: Looks cheap and may not be nearly as good protection as the rubber case noted above. But for the price you can switch out colors based on your mood.

I WILL KEEP LOOKING AND REPORT BACK WHEN I FIND MORE -- hopefully I will.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check out the clear Hard Candy Sleek skin. You can see the whole iPad, so it should show off the iPad skin well.

It's minimal in thickness, but mine protected my iPad from cartwheels down a flight of wooden stairs with a couple more cartwheels on the wooden floor before it stopped.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude you said it. I want some incredible artwork on the back of my iPad -- tons of surface area to show off a nice skin!!

But those skins give my iPad no protection to speak of, so is it too much to ask for a protective case that will cover just the perimeter of my iPhone? Luckily I have found 2 so far, and I am still looking.

At handhelditems.com you will find:
zCover iPad gloveOne AP1AH Dock-in-Case Silicone Ruggedized Bumper Case, Black
Problem: The back of this case appears to cover much more of the back of your iPad -- and your artwork on the skin -- than is necessary. About a third of the back is covered up. If your art is the Starry Night print by Van Gogh then you could get away with having the large, rugged piece of rubber on there. But for a lot of artwork you want to see the whole picture -- so to speak.

A lower profile item is out there that shows most all of the back of the iPad, but it looks cheap and luckily is cheap in cost.
At hdaccessory.com you will find:
TPU Acrylic Case and Screen Protector for Apple iPad (2 Pack)
For 15 bucks you get 2 different colors, and I think they have numerous colors. Worth trying as you try to match your artwork with it's "frame."
Problem: Looks cheap and may not be nearly as good protection as the rubber case noted above. But for the price you can switch out colors based on your mood.

I WILL KEEP LOOKING AND REPORT BACK WHEN I FIND MORE -- hopefully I will.

Check out the clear Hard Candy Sleek skin. You can see the whole iPad, so it should show off the iPad skin well.

It's minimal in thickness, but mine protected my iPad from cartwheels down a flight of wooden stairs with a couple more cartwheels on the wooden floor before it stopped.

Just figured I'd add links.

zCover, and handhelditems.com's zCover

hdaccessory.com and their TPU Acrylic case for iPad (other colors available, just search "TPU Acrylic iPad")

Hard Candy Sleek Skin (other skins and cases available)

Chris

EDIT: Oh yea, "Ouch" on that cartwheeling story. I cringed just reading it.

nthnm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased the Macally Metroc. It's relatively slim and allows any decals or stickers on the iPad to show through. It's not too badly priced either (around $30 whether you go through the Macally website or from eBay or similar).

Wally Gadget

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ultimate iPad Bumper is from BoxWave

DUDE I FOUND THE BUMPER YOU HAVE TO GET!

as you know I have been looking for 2 months and posted some possible iPad bumper vendors previously on this thread. but I was still looking for the perfect one . . .

just go to BoxWave dot com and type in bumper ipad and you will find it

BoxWave has the bumper to end all iPad bumpers. I'm not a plant or stooge from BoxWave - although it is gonna sound like I am because I could not be happier with their product. (Just $30 bucks plus shipping).

When I looked at the picture of their bumper I decided to choose it over the bumpers I listed above because it looked to be the more substantial bumper of the bumper crop (lol). I could not have been more delighted to find this BoxWave bumper was more substantial, more heavy, more sturdy than I had anticipated. Not completely sure what it is made of, but it appears to be the heavy rubber straight off of my Goodyear tires that has been smoothed down to a bumper that is easily stretched over my iPad.

What is amazing is the complete transformation of my iPad, and my iPad experience, resulting from putting this sturdy bumper on it. I have not weighed the items but it seems as if the bumper almost doubles the weight, taking me from a delicate if not flimsy gadget that I was worried would fall out of my hands as I was typing on it -- to a sturdy, perfectly weighted device that I can cruise around the house with laying it down on any surface without either the screen or the back touching that flat surface. IT FITS IN YOUR HANDS AND FEELS SO GOOD I DON'T KNOW HOW I USED MY IPAD BEFORE WITHOUT the substantial outer casing from BoxWave.

But the coolest part is that the black bumper I bought perfectly frames up the back of the iPad where I have the Gelaskin which is retro art - cartoonish pixel like - of a hot, big breasted, curvy big thighed woman leaning on a retro 50s model hotrod/coupe with tatoos on her arms, black and red colors predominant. The piece is called "FUEL" by Gianluca Mattia, which appears in bold letters atop the drawing. My bumper perfectly frames up and displays the cool art. Even my buddy who said he hated the skin after I bought it changed his mind completely after seeing it framed up by the BoxWave bumper. This device is so freakin cool now I can't stand it!

So there you go. They only have grey, yellow and black, and the yellow looks so cool I might just buy it and alternate the two. There is a touch of yellow in my retro skin and it will probably be brought out by the yellow bumjper. If not, I will put a new skin on the gadget next Spring or so, a skin with art that is tailored toward the yellow bumper. Likely a cool new look it will be.

FYI - It took about 2 weeks from the time I ordered it from BoxWave, forgot how much shipping was, but I also ordered an adapter from them and it did not show up in my package -- so I sent an email and they say the replacement of the $8.00 item is forthcoming. No biggie, but they certainly are not perfect up there. As with many companies, BoxWave offers volumes of iPad cases of all types, many hideous ones in my opinion just like you see everywhere. But they have some nice cases, most notably the bumper, which is reasonably priced and well suited for the iPad. I'm serious when I say that everyone who pics up my device is amazed at how good it feels in their hands now. The bumper has elevated my iPad experience to an entirely new and better realm - I am surfing the net like a champ.

Get one dude, you won't be sorry.

Most reactions

Latest posts