What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad blocked after latest update

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is stuck on the Apple logo after (trying) to apply the latest update.
It is connected t my laptop but the computer/iTunes doesn't recognise it.
I have tried reset (press/hold home/power) 3 with it connected and disconnected from the laptop.
It just sits on the logo until it times out, flashes a blue screen then back to the logo again.
Any help would be much appreciated. I'm a silver surfer so be gentle ;)

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I will try that.
Will I lose all my photo's etc?

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, hopefully the backup is automatic as I never did it manually :(

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you enabled backup in Settings - iCloud, you should have backups. They happen every time the iPad is locked (screen turned off, but not device), connected to Wi-Fi and charging.

Also, if you ever synced your device to iTunes, you should find a backup, because backing up happens automatically before syncing.

Last edited:
OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK thank you for your advice which I will follow and post my results.

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am blocked from everything as the iPad won't switch off, it just immediately comes back on again so I am unable to complete the first steps!
Taking it further, I have checked the laptop and iTunes are up to date and tried holding Home button while conecting the usb cable but nothing happens (probably because the iPad is stuck in this power permanently on) mode.
if I press and hold the Power button for what seems an abnormal amount of time, it goes off and then on again. I don't think holding the Power button has any effect as the iPad is locked into this reciprocal situation IE On logo screen untul timed out then back on again etc etc.

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to try using my desktop computer and not my laptop just to see if it made any difference.
All situations remained the same, but, with the iPad connected to the PC I pressed/held the Power/Home buttons and decided to stay like that untul something happened.
Suddenly I saw the iTunes info about restoring etc so I am now in the process of the Checking Software Installation, not restoring for the moment.
I don't think it's the different computer which made the difference but more likely the length of time I held the iPad buttons!

I will post further progress.

OP
C

Clearlasmud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The software update ran it's course and ended with "cannot update as the computer doesn't recognise the device".
I again and this time when I on the screen of the iPad the picture of the connecting cable pointing to the iTunes shortcut icon, I removed the USB cable from the PC and re-plugged it and this time I saw the Windows "installing device driver" notice.
From then onwards I followed instructions for "check sofware installation" and this time it was successful with no data loss :)

I see something unusual though, a message to say the device was not charging, so I removed it from the pc and connected it directly to the charger and presto, all appears noral now.

thank you for the link and have a nice day :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm very glad it's working again. :)

The message about not charging simply means that the iPad doesn't get enough power from the computer to charge it. It's no error popup, and also nothing to worry about.

Most reactions