What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad big or small?

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Which would you choose - IPad Air or Mini Retina - if your job involved looking at share prices, studying stock charts, having multiple browser windows operating at the same time?

And for entertainment, quite a bit of Youtube video viewing, bit of gaming, and occasional iTunes movie.

I will also have my laptop close by when I am at home, so based on all that which would you go with?

I am tempted to go with the bigger screen but then I think of the compact nature of the mini, that it would be easier to travel with (I spend quite a bit of time working away in cafes as some are now equipped with broadband access for paying customers).

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your use case would benefit from the larger screen of the Air. It's not like the Air is a brick, it's plenty portable and easy to tote around. Sure, the mini is a little smaller but it's not like it's fits into a jacket pocket or whatever.

Go for the larger screen, no brainer, IMO.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I agree with s2mikey, you should go for the iPad Air, because mostly users like big screen movies and videos! :D

As she said, the iPad is not at all difficult to handle and is light enough.
You might also be looking out for the iPad Air 2, which is supposed to be out in a few days time.

Good luck with your choice! :)

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with s2mikey, you should go for the iPad Air, because mostly users like big screen movies and videos! :D

As she said, the iPad is not at all difficult to handle and is light enough.
You might also be looking out for the iPad Air 2, which is supposed to be out in a few days time.

Good luck with your choice! :)
Do you know if iPad Air 2 will trim some of the bezel found on the current version. If they make the device slightly smaller overall (while keeping the screen size the same) and make it a little lighter, I suppose it will almost feel like a mini anyway. I think I will wait and see how the new version is like first.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're thinking about buying a new iPad, this would be a good time to hold off on that new iPad purchase for a few days until the details of the new iPads are released.

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been reading a few previews of what the new iPad might be like when it's released. Although it will likely be significantly thinner than Air, rumours are that it will be around the same weight, possibly a touch heavier, and neither are they likely to shave off any of the bezel around the edges. I would have thought they could have reduced the sides by 20% and still have room to add the sensor ID ring and also still maintain enough room for people to hold the device comfortably, without accidentally triggering apps.

If they were to do this then the decision would be straightforward, I would have bought the new Air. It would have felt like a mini but with the bigger screen. Anyway, we won't know for sure until all details are released officially.

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We will know this coming Tuesday USA time when the new models are announced
Methinks you meant to say THURSDAY (Oct. 16th, 10:00 AM Pacific Time)....;)
I'll keep the light on for ya, Col!!:D

Most reactions