What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad beeps now and then... Don't know why.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every few hours my iPad makes a bleep noise, it will do this if I'm using, or if it is sleeping and just sitting on the dresser.. No dialogue box comes up with this sound... What could it be? I have about 30 aps..

Any idea what this could be?

Reaction score
No idea why that happens. But I get the same. From time to time the new mail sound appears, but there is no mail and no dialogue box.

Do you happen to have AppShopper? It is the only app, at least of the ones, which might cause such a thing, but I don't even know, whether it plays the incoming email sound when an app gets updated. So this is more of a guess.

Perhaps it is phantom sound? I read a recent article, about people imagining their devices ring, because they expect/want it to do so :D

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you look in Settings > Notifications? It'll show all apps that have alerts, tones, badges, etc.

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all notifications off... It just happened again when I was watching a movie. The sound on the movie went down, then "bleep!". Then back to the movie... Now dialog... Now new mail either...so mystified.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that's weird. Hafta' google around on that one.

Check your calendar, it has alert functions too, maybe something there?

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few things to try comes to mind:

1. Have you looked in Settings > General > Sounds?

2. Doubletap the home button, and try removing all open apps first, then start just one app which you think most likely might be causing it and see if that's the culprit.

3. Note the intervals between beeps: is it at fixed, regular intervals, or at random?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
No idea why that happens. But I get the same. From time to time the new mail sound appears, but there is no mail and no dialogue box.

Hmm, I noticed something similar, new mail sound and no mail in my inbox.........then I checked out my junk mail folder and it was mail going straight into that!

The Archangel

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:

Hmm, I noticed something similar, new mail sound and no mail in my inbox.........then I checked out my junk mail folder and it was mail going straight into that!

The Archangel

uh huh. I think you two are trippin. Twilight Zone?:D

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
You mean "crack?" Just checking, Gab. Craic could be something different where you are!:)

No, I definitely mean craic......just ask anyone who is Irish......I'm always having the craic!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts