iPad Battery

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Ed44, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Ed44

Ed44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad Air that's a few years old. It's working fine, but I'm curious about the battery. When it gives out, is there any way to replace it? There doesn't seem to be. If that's the case, I'll probably replace the iPad with a small notebook PC, which will probably cost less, although I like the iPad.

2. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    When an iPad battery eventually fails, it can be replaced. The safest option is to go an Apple Store or one of their approved resellers because they are the only people who have genuine Apple spares and also the skills needed.
    It might be worth bearing in mind that by the time the battery wears out, the device will be getting a bit out-dated and it might be better to spend the money you would have spent on the battery on a newer device.

#2 Jupiter7, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Jupiter has already given you some excellent advice. First, let us know 'why' you are curious about the battery? Second, Apple will replace a battery for about $100 (LINK) - not sure in my reading that this means sending you a refurb vs. putting in a new battery in YOUR iPad (i.e. an important consideration regarding backup & restoration). Finally, you can check battery health w/ the Coconut Battery app, a free download (not sure which computer you own).

But I agree w/ Jupiter, the iPad Air (I own the Air 2 which I may replace later this year) was released in the fall of 2013 - getting old - if you can run Coconut Battery on your iPad and the battery health is decent, then I would consider replacing the iPad w/ a newer model - now, whether you want an iPad vs. a PC notebook, that's a completely different question - ;) Dave

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ed44

Ed44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm encouraged to know that battery replacement is possible at reasonable cost. Your other suggestions are well taken, also. Ed

5. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You're very welcome!

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Ed - glad that we could help - but keep in mind that Apple may not replace the battery in your own iPad but send you a 'new' (or likely a 'refurb') that has to be setup or restored - so make sure that you have a backup (I do both iCloud & laptop backups); of course, looking in Settings at the serial# will provide the answer.

BUT, a question for all reading this thread (could not find a good answer googling) - if you have sent in your iPads for a 'battery issue' - did you get your original iPad back or a 'new/refurb'? The battery on my 2 1/2 y/o iPad Air 2 does not have the health promised and I'm reluctant to send the machine in for that reason; also, should one send in an iPad (possibly w/ the passcode) w/o securing or deleting your personal data/information?

When I had my battery changed on my MBPro, I setup a 'new user' and provided the password for that account - however, I assumed that I'd get the same machine back (just requires removing screws) - the iPad requires ungluing the front and not sure that is an easier solution for Apple vs. just sending you a refurb? Will stop - just ruminating here I guess - ;) Dave

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I had to send my iPhone to Apple some time ago. As far as I remember, I had to remove the passcode. I've also removed personal information visible on screenshots (they didn't tell me to do that).

#7 J. A., Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Johanna - did you get a battery change? If not, I assume that your original phone was returned - a couple of months ago, I called Apple about my iPad Air 2 battery (AppleCare had expired) and they were willing to replace the battery, of course, for a $100 - asked whether I get my own iPad back or a refurb and the tech representative was rather nebulous - asked to talk to a more senior person but the phone call disconnected, so never did a follow-up. Dave :)

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I sent it to Apple because of the camera. They sent my iPhone back to me about a week later.

10. Ed44

Ed44
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Judging by some of the other's replies here, I doubt if I would ever send my iPad to Apple. If and when the battery gives out I'll use it at home while plugged into the mains. I may then either buy a new iPad or, possibly a notebook computer since I understand Microsoft's operating system very well. Time will tell which tack I take. ;)