What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad battery lifespan

pauperqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What happens when the lithium battery dies? Do you have to buy a new iPad? I am thinking of buying the ipad2 . Don't have a computer nor the Internet and I thought this was a good way to have both but not if I have to buy a new iPad every 2 years. If that's the case I may as well buy the laptop apple and pay for the Internet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will replace your battery for about 100 bucks, but the battery should last for several years with typical use. You back up your iPad, send it to Apple and they'll send you a replacement with a new battery. (Won't be the same iPad you sent in.)

Unless you limit yourself to free Internet, you'll have to pay for Internet access with or without an iPad.

OP
P

pauperqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I intend to get a data plan from my carrier for $20.00a month-maybe up to $35.00 for 5 gigs. That should be enough as I just want to check email, google and maybe take some pics. Do people generally just replace their iPad with the latest version. Seems awfully expensive and wasteful to me to do this every 3 years. Am thinking I may notbget one after all. I've lived 63years without one.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I intend to get a data plan from my carrier for $20.00a month-maybe up to $35.00 for 5 gigs. That should be enough as I just want to check email, google and maybe take some pics. Do people generally just replace their iPad with the latest version. Seems awfully expensive and wasteful to me to do this every 3 years. Am thinking I may notbget one after all. I've lived 63years without one.

Replacements are often a personal choice, based on your uses and budget.

The technical things that might force a change: At some point with every device, the manufacturer stops updating the firmware. How that affects you depends on whether the content you use needs updated firmware. For basic stuff like email and surfing, that shouldn't be a problem for a number of years. But app developers try to keep up and take advantage of new firmware, so some apps might no longer be supported if you don't upgrade. If your needs are vanilla, I wouldn't worry about it.

Remember, though, that tablets have only recently gained momentum with iPad, so tablets are developing faster than more established technology.

Current iPad camera quality is limited, too. If you need it to take photos, you should search and read photography threads on the forum before buying.

OP
P

pauperqueen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not that into the computer-I prefer video games like Metriod, final fantasy and havebbeen an early adopter of different platforms. I can afford to buy a new iPad every few years but notbsure I WANT to. So is about 3 years of emailing ,surfing about the best I can expect. By the way I've been reading about the apparent shorter battery life on the iPad 2. I've been on this for the last 2 hoursband 10 minutes and the battery has gone from 73to41. Is thisbnormal? Should I maybe think of getting the first iPad that may have ablonger battery life and forego the camera?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got an iPad 1 and 2 and haven't had problems getting at least 10 hours of battery life even with 3G on nonstop. Some users report battery problems, but there's generally a problem that's fixable. If it's a hardware problem, Apple will stand behinds its devices, I've found.

I'm a PC person, always have been, but iPads are the tablets to beat at this point. There are plenty of things you can do with an iPad beyond the basics I mentioned. When I was referring to firmware, I was talking about things you could continue to do indefinitely even after the manufacturer stops upgrading a tablet's firmware.

Most reactions

Latest posts