What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad battery life drain after using Google Chrome

inbox788

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed a connection between Google Chrome and battery drain? There were issues with Chrome draining Macbooks and iOS 6.2 battery drain. I'm been seeing more drain since using Chrome instead of Safari these last few weeks. This happens with two iPads I have, an older iPad 2 and a new iPad Mini. Also, noticed overnight drain of 10-20% and new Chrome usage is common change. I'll try killing the Chrome process as well as other unused apps and see if that improves things. Are there other battery drain apps that may be responsible?

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
it should not drain 10-20% overnight do you turn off wifi and chome when you put the ipad to sleep mode

OP
I

inbox788

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it should not drain 10-20% overnight do you turn off wifi and chome when you put the ipad to sleep mode

No, never had to manually turn off wifi or apps before. Just pressed the sleep/wake button to turn off/sleep and the home button to turn on. Been working fine for 2 years now on the iPad 2, and would have just thought it was an aging battery if not for similar effect with new iPad mini. Killing the Chrome app seems to prevent the overnight battery drain. I'm thinking that Chrome is doing a lot of sync in the background and maybe even when in sleep mode.

Some folks are having battery life issues with 6.1.3, but some of these are improved when chrome sync is turned off, so I will have to try that.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4907710?start=510&tstart=0

Last edited:

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use both chrome and Safari, and did not experience battery drainage as you described.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

inbox788

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both chrome and Safari, and did not experience battery drainage as you described.

Do you sync with your desktop and other Chrome browsers? That seems to be the issue in my case. Don't know if it's constantly syncing when asleep or only while the iPad is being used, but I found some macbook/chrome battery issues that sounded similar. This is just one that seemed to be traced to some graphics chip software bug: Does Google Chrome use a lot of battery? - MacRumors Forums

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have google chrome and use it for all my web browsing.... I get around 11 hours battery life and only maybe a 3% drop over a a 24 hour cycle

OP
I

inbox788

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have google chrome and use it for all my web browsing.... I get around 11 hours battery life and only maybe a 3% drop over a a 24 hour cycle

Strange. So you are using sync between your other devices like desktops and laptops? Or are you only browsing with your iPad? BTW, which version iPad? 11 hours is great battery life!

Anyway, now that I've killed Chrome and am using Safari only, the problem seems to have gone away. I'm a little afraid to try Chrome again, but will if there's a need. Hopefully it's just an intermittent problem and/or it gets fixed in next version.

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange. So you are using sync between your other devices like desktops and laptops? Or are you only browsing with your iPad? BTW, which version iPad? 11 hours is great battery life!

Anyway, now that I've killed Chrome and am using Safari only, the problem seems to have gone away. I'm a little afraid to try Chrome again, but will if there's a need. Hopefully it's just an intermittent problem and/or it gets fixed in next version.

yes I use sync with my laptop phone and iPad. i have an iPad 4 with iOS 6.1.2 jailbroke. never have issues with battery life.. I keep do not disturb on so I don't get duplicate notifications from apps with my iPhone

Tapatalk'd iP5

Cosnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just saw the same thing. If you go into settings I was seeing chrome using more than 50% of the battery. I was having to charge twice during the day. I shut off chrome and now going on second day. Google you have a problem! Battery drain unacceptable. I will use Safari or Maven until they fix.

Most reactions

Latest posts