What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad basics

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am about to buy a Tablet for the first time and am torn between a Samsung and an iPad. It will be used for showing people in a car what has been going well or not so well. I have some questions that to many of you will seem a bit basic.

1. If a video is taken by a Canon Camcorder can it be transferred to the iPad and viewed immediately or does it have to download completely. This is easy on the Samsung due to the SD card transfer?

2. I have some short videos on my iMac 10.6.8 Snow Leopard how do you download load these to the iPad, Simple please.

3 Is there an attachment that would take an SD card and play video taken by a non Apple product in MP4 on the iPad with out difficulty?

4 Can you take high standard video just with the iPad and replay it.

5. Which would be the recommended iPad with a decent size screen around 9.7" using club boost from Tescoi
under £400.

Many Thanks for the replies

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that and for the links to other info. At the moment iPad is the only alternative from Tesco as Samsungs are out of stock for some time. Do you have a suggestion which would be the ideal iPad if all tghe videoing was done using the iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you do get the iPad Air 2, you're going to have to update your iMac to the latest version of OS X and the latest version of iTunes. The iPad Air 2 won't sync with the version of iTunes that can run in Snow Leopard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While I agree with Brian that the Samsung is probably your better choice, due to the way you want to use it, it's not impossible to do all these things with the iPad, if not exactly how you envision them now. However, you may need to buy a few extra's like the the Cammera Connection Kit and perhaps an exteranl wi-fi storage device, SD card based.

The first are a couple of dongles that will fit in the iPad's lightning port. They let you import images and vidoes to the Photos app. One is for SD cards, and the other lets you use the USB adaptor cable that (probably) came with your camera to connect directly to that camera. Its should work with most cameras, but it would be a good idea to do a little research to make sure it works with your model.

The SD wi-fi storage solution is a device that creates a local wi-fi network you're iPad can connect to. A dedicated app lets you access that device and play, download, import and otherwise mangle files. The exact capqbilities vary from device to device and app to app. You'd want one that uses SD cards instead of a portable drive. Research carefully.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you do get the iPad Air 2, you're going to have to update your iMac to the latest version of OS X and the latest version of iTunes. The iPad Air 2 won't sync with the version of iTunes that can run in Snow Leopard.

@ Landcruiser... - agree w/ the comments above, i.e. you're now 5 OS X versions behind (current is El Capitan 11.1) and you may want to consider your upgrade options, both software and hardware - provide some specifics on your computer (model/year & RAM, at least); also, if you need to also upgrade your hardware, then a visit to the MacForums may be in order - there are plenty of threads concerning this very topic. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The SD wi-fi storage solution is a device that creates a local wi-fi network you're iPad can connect to. A dedicated app lets you access that device and play, download, import and otherwise mangle files. The exact capqbilities vary from device to device and app to app. You'd want one that uses SD cards instead of a portable drive. Research carefully.

@ Landcruiser... - as to the above options, check out a post of mine (#6) HERE - provides some ideas that might help you. Dave :)

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, most helpful. However, why is it necessary to update from Snow Leopard to operate a new iPad. Not interested in iTunes, all I want to able to do is to transfer some video currently held on DVD and made from iDVD to the Ipad. Hopefully using and SD card and the Lightening dongle. The iPad will not be attached to the iMac very often.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, most helpful. However, why is it necessary to update from Snow Leopard to operate a new iPad. Not interested in iTunes, all I want to able to do is to transfer some video currently held on DVD and made from iDVD to the Ipad. Hopefully using and SD card and the Lightening dongle. The iPad will not be attached to the iMac very often.
You need to update from Snow Leopard to be able to download the latest version of iTunes. This is necessary because you'll have to use iTunes to transfer to videos to the iPad after converting them to an iPad compatible format. You won't be able to transfer movies and ripped DVDs to the iPad by using an SD card to transfer them from the Mac.

Is your Mac capable of being updated to OSX El Capitan?

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to update from Snow Leopard to be able to download the latest version of iTunes. This is necessary because you'll have to use iTunes to transfer to videos to the iPad after converting them to an iPad compatible format. You won't be able to transfer movies and ripped DVDs to the iPad by using an SD card to transfer them from the Mac.

Is your Mac capable of being updated to OSX El Capitan?[/QUOTE

Below is my iMacs info

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): YM83570MZE3
Hardware UUID: 189E682D-1A22-549E-B616-8529CBFCC0A1

OP
L

Landcruiser262

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Below is my iMacs info

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.29f1
Serial Number (system): YM83570MZE3
Hardware UUID: 189E682D-1A22-549E-B616-8529CBFCC0A1
Is this suitable for the upgrade you mention. Thanks for all the info so far.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this suitable for the upgrade you mention. Thanks for all the info so far.
It should be. iMacs from 2007 and later are suitable and yours is from 2008 or 2009. Are you currently on OSX 10.6.8? This is the latest version of Snow Leopard and is required before you can update to El Capitan. Once you're on 10.6.8, you can go to the Mac App Store and download the update from there. Once the update is completed, you can update to the latest version of iTunes.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Agree w/ Scifan..'s last post - here are a few links that might be useful: 1) Specs on your early 2008 iMac; and 2) Apple Discussion on going from 10.6.8 to 10.11.1.

Your computer is nearly 8 years old and how well the machine will run on El Capitan may be a disappointment; also 2 GB RAM is not enough for the newer OS Xs (despite Apple stating that amount is a minimum) - you really need to upgrade your RAM to at least 4 GB - according to the first link above, you could go to 6 GB (see image below), which I would recommend if you really want to continue to use this 'antique' w/ a modern OS X - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 2.36.05 PM.png

Most reactions