What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Backup

slimshotty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am assuming you are working in a Windows environment:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
on my XP Lap Top there is:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\SyncServices\Local

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you follow twerppoet's link it tells you how to delete the "iPad backup". May I assume that is the most recent backup?

Windows 7: When I go to the folder UserName\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\MobileSync\Backup\and a very long number :), contained in that final folder are what appear to be numerous backups dated prior to the backup I made today.

The older backups equal 10gb; is there any reason not to delete all of the backups - each backup consists of numerous files - prior to the current backup?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The easier way to delete a backup is to do it through iTunes. Open Preferences in iTunes, select the Devices tab. It will show you all your devices and their backups. You can select and delete them. There is only one backup per device. iTunes does not keep multiple backups (and most of us wish it would).

The numerous folders are just parts of each backup. If you drill down far enough you come to files full of the gobbledygook iTunes creates in order to minimize space, and encrypt the files (if you've got the option turned on).

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easier way to delete a backup is to do it through iTunes. Open Preferences in iTunes, select the Devices tab. It will show you all your devices and their backups. You can select and delete them. There is only one backup per device. iTunes does not keep multiple backups (and most of us wish it would).

The numerous folders are just parts of each backup. If you drill down far enough you come to files full of the gobbledygook iTunes creates in order to minimize space, and encrypt the files (if you've got the option turned on).

While I have no knowledge to disagree, I must respectfully disagree!

In the folder I indicated there are files from multiple dates and times:

23/08 9:39am - 16 files
23/08 9:17am - 65 files
22/08 - 35 files
14/08 - 14 files
1/12/10 - 13 files

Total files: - 1,391 files = 9.89gb

Mate, are you saying that all of those files are from only one backup?

Are you suggesting that if I used the iTunes facility to delete the backup for my iPad, only one device is reported in iTunes, it would delete all 1,391 files?

I am not ready to do this until I understand as best as possible.

Thanks for your assistance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose I could be wrong, but the one-backup-per-device info is what Apple says, not idle speculation on my part. Or there may be an undisclosed bug that keeps old backups, or Apple stores past backups but does not tell you about them, or give you access.

But I think the explanation is simpler.

After the first backup, all following backups are incremental. That means that iTunes only changes/deletes/adds files that have changed since the last backup. You probably have files as old as your very first backup, as well as some from your most recent.

I do not know exactly how Apple does the backups, but yes, those files are (almost certainly) for just that one backup. In order to do incremental backups it is probably easier to have bunches of files (so you can just change the ones that need it) instead of one huge file that you would have to load modify and save again.

As for whether you delete the backups via iTunes, it's up to you. But if you are wanting to get rid of the backup anyway, what have you got to lose? You've already decided to trash it, so if it does not delete the whole thing you can always go back to the folder and finish the job. iTunes is smart enough to create the folder again when it is gone. It had to do so for the first backup.

Yarrenbool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Talking of backing up:

Is iTunes auto-backup as it starts a sync on a Win-7 computer the best/only way to backup your data, apps, and configuration?

With the auto-iTunes-backup can one restore specific data or apps if they are lost or corrupted?

I've googled “backup iPad†and haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

This iPad 2 is my first, and so far, only Apple item and coming for decades of MS, and before that CP/M, things can sometimes be a bit confusing, to say the least. (Must say I am REALLY liking my iPad 2!)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are third party programs to backup your iPad. I don't use one, so I can't recommend any. Daltonbaker provided a link to several a couple posts back, but from the context I'm not sure if he has used or is actually recommending any of them.

iTunes is an all or nothing restore, and it only restores app data, contacts, and other stuff (books, music, apps, video) visible in the iTunes library is synced, not part of the backup itself).

Here is the best source of info I could find about backups in iTunes. It will tell you most of what you want, though it might take a bit of digging.

iPad: About backups

The Commodore 128 had a CP/M mode. I fiddled with a it a bit, but never had the ambition to dig into what it could do.

Last edited:

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bit the bullet and used iTunes to delete the backup - it cleaned out the folder! 1,391 files gone - poof!

Did a sync:
Step 1 - Backup phase: 12 minutes; 1,403 files, 9.89gb
Balance of sync: 2 more minutes

Result of exercise - same amount of space used on hard drive; all new files!

scrumbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I seem to have multiple back-ups and they total 45GB of data - which seems like a lot. Is there no way to move that to my expansion drive without creating issues later if I need to reload it. I am trying to clean up my hard drive and this seems to be the biggest data hog.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way to change the backup location. You can either delete them (In Preferences, the devices tab), or you could move them manually to another drive (you would have to move them back to the right location to use one). The following link should help you find where the files are located on your computer.

iTunes: About iOS backups

Most reactions

Latest posts