iPad Backup Syncing taking Forever!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by chipzip, Apr 4, 2010.

1. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The Apple connector end of my synch cable is twice as "tall" as the ones that came with my iPod touch and Nano. I when I switched to that cable, the synch issues stopped.

2. PNS

PNS
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi.
    I have restricted profile space allowed on my set by IT admin, is there a way i can change the directory that iTunes syns, IE move it out of My documents and directly to my C drive?

3. jutudey

jutudey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have a similar problem. I am syncing an iPhone 4, an iPad and my wife's iPhone 3G on the same laptop with limited space on the C partition. My other partitions are huge, so I would love to be able to redirect the backups to those partitions. I tried to reinstall itunes on a different partition, but the backup still goes to C.

4. gjw46

gjw46
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I pad sync solved

I am convinced it was a bad app or file. I finally solved this by doing a complete restore, back to my last backup date.

I can now do my backups in minutes

All the various newspaper and magazine apps are big offenders here, and I tunes is not the best to work with these in backups.

Other things that sped this up was using the usb port in the back of the pc not the front.

Thanks everyone for their help

5. JonB

JonB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iPad Backups..update

Hi all..Im glad that my post from some time back was useful in troubleshooting the backup taking forever issue. As I stated recently, since I update to the new IOS..there is no issue any longer. The backup takes about 3 min for 16 gb of data. This improved backup time comes with my still using offensive apps (backup-wise) like Zinio, NYTimes, WSJ that were all saving cached files

If you are still having an issue, I suggest this: go to the ipad backup directory on your PC/Mac and delete ALL of the 1000's of files there. Then connect your ipad to your PC/Mac and start a backup.

I personally don't think this is about cables...to test this out..connect your iPad to itunes and copy many many music files over and monitor the time required for this.

Let me know what plays out..JonB

6. Fifimachin

Fifimachin
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Why can you only download music or books from one computer?

7. ahovis

ahovis
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You think you guys have a problem! I left mine running for 14 hours and it has still not finished! When I went and looked at the backup files there are thousands of them spread out over the past 14 hours so something is being backed up. I am trying to update to 4.2.1 but it wants to do a backup first. What is the risk if I skip the backup part? I have a complete sync just no full backup. What will I loose?

8. pluto6

pluto6
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You should not lose anything. The first part of the synch is a backup. Unless you are cancelling (stopping) the backup part of the synch.

9. JonB

JonB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Backup

Cancel it...nothing bad will happen. Get yourself 4.2 and hopefully you will be past this mess.

10. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    When my Google calendar app from Readdle had issues with multiple events (i cleaned up everything but couldn't get rid of multiple US holidays) in last upgrade this week I contacted the developer. That lead to uninstall from Ipad, reboot, uninstall from Itunes, rebuy/install and sync. I could not stop the backup (i thought in the pset I just clicked on the x at right to stop it on PC) so cancelled the sync. The last time I backed up for install of 4.2.1 I finally had to delete all my news apps, Zinio and similar to get a reasonably timed backup (I was getting 14-18 hurw and still ot backed up). I just didn't want to do that today so after cancelling I just tried a reinstall via Ipad and got a correct install without multiple events,

A little OT but know how frustrating those long backups are and I don't want to have to delete and reinstall a bunch of apps every time. What a pain. Is it the app developers at blame or the Ipad??

Diane