What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad at uni

sui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,
i'm thinking about picking up an iPad for taking notes in classes.
Does anybody have experience with that and is it actually a good idea?
I thought about using a stylus with an app like Penultimate, but i'm not sure if it's actually possible to squeeze enough text on a page(like a mindmap or scheme of a concept with annotations).
Essentially i'd like to use it as a tablet PC with a few drawbacks.
If you have any other ideas or problems i might run into, i'd be glad to hear them :)

sui

naty48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YEA its not that simple.. you cant draw whatever you want..
i mean you cant make Simple things as Draw somting like this
A B
/ \
N-1 B=2
its simple and stuped but its nessecry (i am sorry about my english)

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you''re thinking about taking notes, the touch key pad would probably be difficult to work with. You probably would be better off if you pick up a Mac Wireless Keyboard and link it with Bluetooth. I can't really "type" with the virtual keypad like I can with a keyboard.

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the SoundNote app. It records the lecture (sit close to the speaker) while you type notes on the iPad. Then, as you study your notes, you can click to hear the part of the lecture on that point.:)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I take notes in class with Note Taker HD and the Boxwave (aka Targus) stylus. It works well for me and I am able to write on "regular" sized and lined paper. Very nice and smooth.

Marilyn

Last edited:
OP
S

sui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for your feedback, i think i've got a good idea of what i want now. I looked into NoteTaker HD, because it seems to be what i'm looking for with handwriting on the iPad.
What i'm curious about is: If you're taking a lot of notes, does the responsiveness and speed suffer a lot? As in: is it impairing your work speed?
The reason is, that a lot of times we have to take notes really fast, because the teacher will move on in no time. edit: Is it advisable to wait for a new iPad revision? I heard of rumors, that they may be releasing a new one by christmas. Would be a shame to buy an 'old' one now, when there's one coming up.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been searching for the ultimate note-taking app for a while too. I looked at some YouTube videos and I going to give Note Taker HD a try too.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been a fan of NoteTaker but have recently switched to Notes Plus as it utilizes a similar handwriting method but also includes sound recording at the same time.
Basically I needed a full page scribbling box as my writing is pretty awful and the auto return function is better implemented.

Both however are pretty cheap so you could afford to try them both and see which suits you best.
Good luck in your studies.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The most important thing I can say about NoteTakerHD, or about ANY note-taking app is: practice!

As always, YMMV, but I find I can keep up with my professor using NoteTakerHD. But, you do have to be comfortable with the app and its quirks and the various techniques. However, I must be honest and say that none of my professors (so far!) have gone so fast that I get behind.

My biggest problem in one of my classes is that I also use an e-textbook. It is a pain to switch between the book and the app. So, in that one, I use paper and have the book open on the iPad.

I am SO hoping that the multitasking/fast app switching of 4.2 will benefit me on this. Guess we'll see ... soon!

Good luck in your search and classes!

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts