What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Assessment

paraj77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have attempted to use my iPad for 2 months since my wife purchased a Hyundai Equus and received one as part of the purchase. While we absolutely love the car, the entire two months with the iPad have been a source of extreme frustration in trying to accomplish the most basic functions: connecting to my network printer and play any Flash streaming feeds. I cannot understand why anyone would tolerate the crap Apple is providing with thier proprietary, closed approach to computing.

Before I put this pos into the garbage, can anyone tell me how to attach my netwoked Canon MX 870 printer to this piece of junk?

As an IT professional with 40+ years of systems (hardware & OS) development experience, I cannot recall a more frustrating two months in my professional career. I will not recommend this technology to any of my 100+ clients.

Thanks,
paraj77

wheems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're just going to throw it away, why bother telling you anything?

With all your IT experience I should hope, for your 100+ clients' sake, that you would be able to figure all this out. Maybe try using this new-fangled thing called the Internet to SEARCH.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, and the millions of iPad users Worldwide think it's crap too. Learn before you comment. AirPrint only supports HP printers out of the box. For other brands, you install TruPrint. Or something similar. And you streaming Flash? Who needs it? It's nice to have sure, but doesn't mean its necessary. I used to think that the iPad without Flash is dumb, now I don't miss it. So do the other 10 million iPad users worldwide. Besides, almost all the sites now have optimized for iPad anyway.

- Sent from my Highly-Personalized jailbroken iPad 2! :D

Last edited:

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
1 post + 1 iPad hater = 1 Troll

Don't feed the trolls!

By the way, coming to an iPad forum and spreading hate and discontent in your first and only post tells me you should probably put in another 40 years learning some common sense.

Yup. Shouldn't have fell for it. Darn.

OP
P

paraj77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, especially KaiHD. I have followed up on both AirPrint and TruPrint. Will probably opt for the later as jail-breaking a personal device is not a concern to me. Thanks again.

Trying to look at the potential of the IPad as a convergence device in the business world was the source of my earlier frustration. I was strongly traveling down a logic path where I could recommend the IPad as a replacement for laptop/tablets used by field employees. As many corporations have created their employee education material delivered by Flash Player streaming, lack of this capability would be a hard-stop for introducing the IPad into this environment. Similarily for a requirement to jail-break a device from the manufacturer's warranty to gain print capability -- I would be hard-pressed to find a CIO-IT Department that would embrace a technology that requires jail-breaking.

So, I will enjoy my personal use device and be amazed at its fine engineering and defer consideration for recommending deployment into the corporate world.

Thanks again.

(Sometimes, the view from under the bridge is clearer.)

Nakcol24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there:) I have a Canon PIXMA MX882 and it works flawlessly with my iPad. I use the Princentral (paid) app. I like the fact that you don't have to also download a desktop application in order for it to work.....just download the app from AppStore and when you go into it to add your printer it should pick it up immediately...print a test page and then you are good to go. I use to also use the desktop application and was able to print while away from the house and the print would be waiting for me when I got home.

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

Last edited:

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
paraj77 said:
Thanks for all the responses, especially KaiHD. I have followed up on both AirPrint and TruPrint. Will probably opt for the later as jail-breaking a personal device is not a concern to me. Thanks again.

Trying to look at the potential of the IPad as a convergence device in the business world was the source of my earlier frustration. I was strongly traveling down a logic path where I could recommend the IPad as a replacement for laptop/tablets used by field employees. As many corporations have created their employee education material delivered by Flash Player streaming, lack of this capability would be a hard-stop for introducing the IPad into this environment. Similarily for a requirement to jail-break a device from the manufacturer's warranty to gain print capability -- I would be hard-pressed to find a CIO-IT Department that would embrace a technology that requires jail-breaking.

So, I will enjoy my personal use device and be amazed at its fine engineering and defer consideration for recommending deployment into the corporate world.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. However, it would be well to remember that the iPad is a post-PC device. It goes where the PC cannot go, and does what the PC cannot do. It is not meant to replace your PC, it is designed to complement it.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks again.

Good plan. My own assessment is that the iPad is clearly a consumer device, not (yet) a device suitable for serious corporate or government deployment. If nothing else, the inability to password protect "Settings" and email means the iPad cannot be easily deployed in a corporate environment. The fact that there is no iPad 2 model without a camera (as far as I know) is another problem for many government and corporate customers who deploy devices in secure locations. And the fact that there is no way to create a restricted "login" that limits a user to a specific set of apps is still another weakness.

Frankly, I'm somewhat amazed that basic features important to corporate and government customers have been completely ignored in the iPad design. But it's not like Apple is alone in this respect. Many of the same problems exist in the Android environment. The lack of attention to these issues leaves the field open to Blackberry tablets.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's all about what markets you want to be in, however corporations and government agencies have clearly embraced the iPad in spite of some limitations.

Will Apple add more restrictions aimed at corporate iPad administration? Perhaps.

The US government purchases them by the truck load so they clearly have been embraced in DC as well. One of our enterprise Apps was developed for an agency that deployed 5000 iPads...

-t

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have attempted to use my iPad for 2 months since my wife purchased a Hyundai Equus and received one as part of the purchase. While we absolutely love the car, the entire two months with the iPad have been a source of extreme frustration in trying to accomplish the most basic functions: connecting to my network printer and play any Flash streaming feeds. I cannot understand why anyone would tolerate the crap Apple is providing with thier proprietary, closed approach to computing.

Before I put this pos into the garbage, can anyone tell me how to attach my netwoked Canon MX 870 printer to this piece of junk?

As an IT professional with 40+ years of systems (hardware & OS) development experience, I cannot recall a more frustrating two months in my professional career. I will not recommend this technology to any of my 100+ clients.

Thanks,
paraj77

Some here have been harsh, I will not be, because I
am an IT vet of over 20+ years myself.

I've worked with both PC's and IBM mainframes so I
DO understand your point of view. It's wrong and dated,
yet I can understand it. I've worked on many complcated
IT programmming projects in the auto industry.

That being said, take a minute and think out of your
IT box a minute. Today, whats emerging is no longer
application centric, but instead plug in centric. Phones,
tablets, eReaders, even small notebooks are as powerfull
as a computer of 20 years ago.

A typical iPad app has no way of printing by itself (most of them).
It is a plug in for a simple task, capable of a few specific things.
Thats why its cheap, not bloated, and can do those few things
well.

So, if you get an app like FingerPrint, it also does one thing well,
it prints and plugs into your other apps to do so.

Collobos Software

Think of many small apps as building blocks, that you
give to the end user, who can configure to their personal tastes
not yours...theirs. This may be threating to professionals like us because
it could hinder job secuirty, if we dont change our thinking
and fast.

With my iPad2 in less then a week I was able to:
Send email with Microsoft Exchange ar work.
Run a 5252 emulation to an IBM iSeries.
VPN (remote control) from home to work and back again.
Enable file sharing.

So, you haven't looked real hard, have you?

I have found most of my answers by asking questions
and having an open mind. I dont plan on giving up my
work or home PC, I plan in using them with other
devices to the fullest. In fact I just biullt a state
of the art PC for home useage, not a Mac.

So we can either embrace the change, or swim
with the fishes.

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where does the apple website say the iPad is a replacement computer?

It's not.

Apple does lock it down tremendously but jailbreaking can fix that.
No flash though. I don't miss it.

I guess the 10 million+ iPad owners and I are just stupid.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where does the apple website say the iPad is a replacement computer?

It's not.

Apple does lock it down tremendously but jailbreaking can fix that.
No flash though. I don't miss it.

I guess the 10 million+ iPad owners and I are just stupid.

A little harsh, I think. I certainly agree that the iPad is not a replacement computer. I've been on that side of the argument in numerous threads here. The question is not whether the iPad should do all the things a laptop does; it's whether it should do all the things a tablet should do.

Should a tablet be "shareable" among multiple family members with different interests and capabilities. I'd say yes. The iPad currently doesn't meet that objective.

Should a tablet meet some minimum security requirements for use in a corporate or business environment? Again, I'd say yes. (That's not to say that business and government agencies won't bite the bullet and cope with the weaknesses of an iPad to reap its benefits, but many Fortune 1000 firms and government agencies will not. And when a device emerges that resolves those weaknesses, those organizations will take note.)

Should either of these scenarios require "jailbreaking" the device to achieve those objectives? No.

On one point, though, I think we'd agree. Does a tablet have to support "Flash?" Not as far as I'm concerned.

Most reactions

Latest posts