iPad Assessment

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by paraj77, Jul 13, 2011.

1. paraj77

paraj77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have attempted to use my iPad for 2 months since my wife purchased a Hyundai Equus and received one as part of the purchase. While we absolutely love the car, the entire two months with the iPad have been a source of extreme frustration in trying to accomplish the most basic functions: connecting to my network printer and play any Flash streaming feeds. I cannot understand why anyone would tolerate the crap Apple is providing with thier proprietary, closed approach to computing.

Before I put this pos into the garbage, can anyone tell me how to attach my netwoked Canon MX 870 printer to this piece of junk?

As an IT professional with 40+ years of systems (hardware & OS) development experience, I cannot recall a more frustrating two months in my professional career. I will not recommend this technology to any of my 100+ clients.

Thanks,
    paraj77

2. wheems

wheems
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    If you're just going to throw it away, why bother telling you anything?

With all your IT experience I should hope, for your 100+ clients' sake, that you would be able to figure all this out. Maybe try using this new-fangled thing called the Internet to SEARCH.

3. KaiHD

KaiHD
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, and the millions of iPad users Worldwide think it's crap too. Learn before you comment. AirPrint only supports HP printers out of the box. For other brands, you install TruPrint. Or something similar. And you streaming Flash? Who needs it? It's nice to have sure, but doesn't mean its necessary. I used to think that the iPad without Flash is dumb, now I don't miss it. So do the other 10 million iPad users worldwide. Besides, almost all the sites now have optimized for iPad anyway.

- Sent from my Highly-Personalized jailbroken iPad 2! :D

#3 KaiHD, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. The Alternative

The Alternative
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    1 post + 1 iPad hater = 1 Troll

Don't feed the trolls!

By the way, coming to an iPad forum and spreading hate and discontent in your first and only post tells me you should probably put in another 40 years learning some common sense.

5. KaiHD

KaiHD
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yup. Shouldn't have fell for it. Darn.

6. Destroyer

Destroyer
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    get your Windows stuff and fall with the masses.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

7. Destroyer

Destroyer
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I forgot google it..!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

8. paraj77

paraj77
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the responses, especially KaiHD. I have followed up on both AirPrint and TruPrint. Will probably opt for the later as jail-breaking a personal device is not a concern to me. Thanks again.

Trying to look at the potential of the IPad as a convergence device in the business world was the source of my earlier frustration. I was strongly traveling down a logic path where I could recommend the IPad as a replacement for laptop/tablets used by field employees. As many corporations have created their employee education material delivered by Flash Player streaming, lack of this capability would be a hard-stop for introducing the IPad into this environment. Similarily for a requirement to jail-break a device from the manufacturer's warranty to gain print capability -- I would be hard-pressed to find a CIO-IT Department that would embrace a technology that requires jail-breaking.

So, I will enjoy my personal use device and be amazed at its fine engineering and defer consideration for recommending deployment into the corporate world.

Thanks again.

(Sometimes, the view from under the bridge is clearer.)

9. Nakcol24

Nakcol24
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi there:) I have a Canon PIXMA MX882 and it works flawlessly with my iPad. I use the Princentral (paid) app. I like the fact that you don't have to also download a desktop application in order for it to work.....just download the app from AppStore and when you go into it to add your printer it should pick it up immediately...print a test page and then you are good to go. I use to also use the desktop application and was able to print while away from the house and the print would be waiting for me when I got home.

Sent from my iPad 2 64G 3G using iPF

#9 Nakcol24, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  10. KaiHD

KaiHD
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You're welcome. However, it would be well to remember that the iPad is a post-PC device. It goes where the PC cannot go, and does what the PC cannot do. It is not meant to replace your PC, it is designed to complement it.