What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as modem

timleach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I need some advise:
I want to buy the older iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB (first generation)
Now, can I download books internationally with it (even though ibooks is only for the US)?
Is the 3G option open for any international sim card?
Can I use it as a data modem for my macbook, as I can with an iphone with a USB cable?
Can I share the wi-fi so other computers can get data, as I can with the macbook?
Basically can it be a data modem for my macbook and how?
Thanks.
[/FONT]​

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]I need some advise:
I want to buy the older iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G 16GB (first generation)
Now, can I download books internationally with it (even though ibooks is only for the US)?
Is the 3G option open for any international sim card?
Can I use it as a data modem for my macbook, as I can with an iphone with a USB cable?
Can I share the wi-fi so other computers can get data, as I can with the macbook?
Basically can it be a data modem for my macbook and how?
Thanks.
[/FONT]​

OK - good to hear from you.

(1) iBooks is international, though different books are available in different countries as a result of copyright restrictions. So, yes, you'll be able to download books from anywhere depending on the status of your iTunes account. i.e. if you have a US iTunes account, you'll be able to download books from the US iBooks store even if you're overseas.

(2) If you want to use your 3G iPad overseas, make sure you get the AT&T version because that uses GSM, which is available internationally. The Verizon model uses CDMA, which only works in the US and (so I'm told) a couple of other countries. There's no problem with purchasing a microSIM overseas and putting this into your iPad to get data service. You could use your AT&T card too - but you'd have very high roaming charges.

(3) The iPad, even with the latest version of iOS, does not support 'tethering' or 'personal hotspot', as you can with the iPhone - unless you jailbreak.

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_2_user_guide.pdf

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
T

timleach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad tethering

Tim,
Thanks for your help.
So if I do jailbreak the AT&T version of the ipad, does that mean I will be able to tether to my macbook for data?
Also, I see the iPhone can tether, but will not work with the Bluetooth DUN.
I have (with great difficulty in finding a compatible phone) connected a sony ericcson w810i (EDGE) via Bluetooth DUN to my macbook. It seems odd that the iphone will not do that, or is there a way?
All the best,
Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPhone with iOS 4.3 then tethering is not a problem and you can link your iPad to your iPhone using WiFi, but not Bluetooth. The only issue that you might have is that some service providers impose an additional tethering charge on certain contracts - some even insist on an entirely separate contract.

I guess this is because they see the possibility of significant additional data usage for tethered phones. Some users have wondered why they would impose an additional charge on those contracts that are capacity limited - i.e. 2GB per month - rather than unlimited.

It's because it's well known in the Industry that, even on capacity limited contracts, users rarely use their full entitlement - i.e. at the end of the month they often have significant unused capacity. The service providers factor that in to their pricing plans. But experience has taught them that tethered phones have a tendency to have significantly less unused capacity remaining at the end of the month and, although 'technically' the user has paid for all that capacity, the service providers didn't factor that additional usage into their overall calculations.

As a result, many have decided that they need to make an additional charge for tethered 'phones and that now seems to be becoming the 'norm' across the Industry.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts