What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as external storage?

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a 64GB IPad and in addition to using it for all the other stuff one uses one for I'm also using it for files (archiving). Does anyone else use one this way? Or am I just the odd duck here?

OP
I

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting to guess I must be the odd man here???

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use iPad for archiving because storage is limited. I use my laptop for that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, it is very likely you are the odd man out on this one. Hard drive storage is way, way less expensive than SSD storage, which is less expensive in iPad storage. As a result, few people are going to join in with your effort on this.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the OP - might be of interest to others 'what' type of files are you storing on the iPad and 'how' do you accomplish your goal(s)?

I own the iPad2 32GB, so really not much room for other than the iPad functions & storage w/i their apps. Apple's 'stock' iOS is not like Windows more hierachial structure where files can be copied/moved easily between folders and used by multiple apps, so just curious as to your purposes? Thanks & might help others w/ similar thoughts - Dave :)

OP
I

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the OP - might be of interest to others 'what' type of files are you storing on the iPad and 'how' do you accomplish your goal(s)?

I have fileapp installed on my Ipad and Diskaid on my main machine, I just archive files that I wanted to save that I don't look at too often. (old pics, text files, spreadsheets, etc..) These are files that I don't look at too often but I wanted to backup "just in case" the main machine dies or I have an accident at home and we loose all of those files...

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
From your description, your likely to be the only one to do that. As has been said storage is a premium on the ipad, much better just to have a external HDD for such stuff, or upload it to a cloud solution like dropbox, googledrive etc.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From your description, your likely to be the only one to do that. As has been said storage is a premium on the ipad, much better just to have a external HDD for such stuff, or upload it to a cloud solution like dropbox, googledrive etc.

Yes, I have a 3TB external hard drive for my real archiving beyond laptop, and my husband has a raid system that I store stuff on, too. On Dropbox, I store stuff only if I don't care about its security.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A NAS drive might be the way to go as you can access from iPad, Windows, OSX, Android, etc.

These drives are pretty cheap nowadays.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts