Ipad as computer replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by 098225001, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Luber905

Luber905
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I've *almost* completely abandoned my old BlackBook. love the thing, have done so ever since I bought it. But it's so much simpler, faster, more convenient, nicer to work on the iPad. I do have a ZaggFolio Bluetooth keyboard case which is a necessity at times but the ipad outshines the laptop by light years.

2. GaryRea

GaryRea
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, I'm a PC, so I have a slight bias, but, even if I were using a Mac, I would still say there are certain things I would want either a laptop or desktop for. The virtual keyboard in the iPad is a pain in the ass, for one thing, and I'm seriously considering getting a physical keyboard add-on. Other than that and some possible screen size issues with certain types of apps, I think the iPad could be a replacement for a laptop or desktop, with some adjustment.

3. coolstuffs

coolstuffs
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have the Ipad but I still could not find any reason or justification why I should replace my computers with it.

4. dhevans_6

dhevans_6
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have to say after having my new MacBook air for two weeks I could do without the iPad and stick with the MacBook.

The iPad is king at consuming content, and you can't turn a MacBook to portrait, but if I had to choose between them, I think it would be the mac for me. it's just more versatile and I don't see the 11" screen being too small (it has a 24" monitor to hook up to if need the real estate).

I am however lucky in that I can own both, but won't be so stoked to now rush out and replace the iPad when the next version comes out!

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It really depends on who you are. If I were retired, for example, an iPad w/ BT kb might be fine. But I do too many different and demanding things to depend on an iPad alone. But it can do a surprising amount of things that used to be the domain of standard computers.

6. derina

derina
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Quite a few colleges have gone tablet. So is yours one of them. I know you can get quite a few textbooks through the apps(not sure of the names). I know of a couple of colleges in Arizona,California,Florida. They require a wireless keyboard and some note taking apps. The professors have you email the papers though pages app.

A friend of mine is going to a Christian college, and that is what she needed. She bought the 64 iPad and just syncs her work to her iCloud account.

7. quake5254

quake5254
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Sounds interesting. No more books to carry. I just wonder how easy would it be to cross reference.

8. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    We took early retirement a few years back & are fully "post PC". Everything we do or need to do is done on tablets :)

Android to start with, about to buy a new iPad - :)

9. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Heading there myself. Not the retirement part but
    a house without a PC.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

10. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i have to say yet again,as much as i love my ipad it could never replace my MacBook Pro.