What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as communication aid

lrhale

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've recently got an IPad 3 and am using the app Speakit as a means of communicating because I have a dsiability which, among other things, makes it difficult for me to make myself heard and understood when I speak. Love the iPad because it doesn't stand out as stereotypically disabled like other forms of AAC and can be used for lots of things besides talking. My only problem is the iPad isn't loud enough in noisy environments like restaurants (and my college refectory!) At the moment I'm getting round it by getting people to read the screen but this is impractical. Does anyone know how to make the iPad louder without using a speaker? I've been looking into small, wireless speakers on amazon but the customer reviews are mixed at best. A speaker with a wire would be awkward as the iPad as mounted on my wheelchair and I'd need the wire to reach the nearest surface on which I could place the speaker or to reach my lap and have the speaker there which would be a bit unstable.
Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this neat invention, the "SoundJaw" (http://www.soundjaw.com/1/Home.html). It's a plastic horn-like device that attaches to your iPad and amplifies the sound, all without power or wires. I use something similar on my iPhone and it's really a very clever idea.

However, if it doesn't make the iPad loud enough for you, I am afraid you are looking at wireless speakers. I have the Jambox speaker and I really like it. It's rather dear, however, at about $200 (USD).

But, try the SoundJaw. At $12.99 (USD), it may be well worth the try.

Marilyn

P.S. And where are my manners! Welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visits.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Irhale--I, too am not aware of anything other than the wireless speakers which, Mickey330 mentioned above. I was also curious about the sound jaw for my mom who hearing limitations...so it's good to hear that this type of device works and for only a small cost.

I venture onto something for you, I will post back as well.

Also:
Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to: Acessories, Help, Apple News, Hacking, Gaming, Business/Education, Special Needs and Health.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Stone10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look at this neat invention, the "SoundJaw" (SoundJaw). It's a plastic horn-like device that attaches to your iPad and amplifies the sound, all without power or wires. I use something similar on my iPhone and it's really a very clever idea.

However, if it doesn't make the iPad loud enough for you, I am afraid you are looking at wireless speakers. I have the Jambox speaker and I really like it. It's rather dear, however, at about $200 (USD).

But, try the SoundJaw. At $12.99 (USD), it may be well worth the try.

Marilyn

P.S. And where are my manners! Welcome to the forum. Good to "see" you and hope you enjoy your visits.

I think Soundjaw is the nice app to increase the volume of my iPad enough. I don't need to make my iPad much loud but it should be enough to me. Also the price of this app is very reasonable. So, i want to try Soundjaw. Thanks for your information.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Soundjaw is the nice app to increase the volume of my iPad enough. I don't need to make my iPad much loud but it should be enough to me. Also the price of this app is very reasonable. So, i want to try Soundjaw. Thanks for your information.

Good. I hope it works out for you. And, you're welcome.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts