What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as cash register

Charly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience with iPads as POS registers.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally don't think it would be all that good as an actual POS device, but where it could shine in the hospitality industry is as an entry device for wait staff. This type of technology is already in use and has been for many years. When I go to a hockey game for instance, the venue is set up so that the servers come to my seat and take my order on a handheld device that sends the order to the commissary and then a "runner" brings my order back to me. I think the iPad would be perfect for this with the right application.

(I wish I knew more about programming these things!)

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I sort of use it like this, but not completely. I use an app called Quick Sale for a small, side business I do roasting coffee. I entered all my products and have all my customers entered. I can enter orders and payments and email receipts to customers and reports to myself. You can even use it to process credit cards if you also have Inner Fence Credit Card Terminal, but I dont mess with that.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quick-sale-for-ipad/id364905884?mt=8

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked at the app and I stand corrected in my statement about the iPad not being a good POS terminal -- very cool!

Now I want a cup of coffee!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sort of use it like this, but not completely. I use an app called Quick Sale for a small, side business I do roasting coffee. I entered all my products and have all my customers entered. I can enter orders and payments and email receipts to customers and reports to myself. You can even use it to process credit cards if you also have Inner Fence Credit Card Terminal, but I dont mess with that.

Quick Sale for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

That is amazing for something this price!

How do you print receipts? The demo shows an emailed document...

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Quick Sale for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

That is amazing for something this price!

How do you print receipts? The demo shows an emailed document...

I dont print receipts, I email them to the customer's email address. I let them print it if they want a paper copy. Its more eco-friendly anyway. I do a lot of my deliveries on my bike, so I can pull out the iPad, enter their payment and email their receipt right from their front porch.

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, its not an extremely robust app, but for a simple business like mine, its great!

Mine is a small business too. I'm a cabinet maker with one sale every few weeks or month. I hate firing up the toasterPC just to print a bill in triplicate.

I really wish Apple would get things straight with printing... That's my biggest beef with the iPad...

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, thats the downside of an internet appliance model vs a "real" computer OS. The challenge of printing is that Apple couldnt do it alone. Printers need drivers specific to the OS, or some kind of desktop-side helper.

JohnMak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I run a small bar in Vietnam and the iPad would make a great POS cash register using the QuickSale App if it could print receipts. Intellixense say they are working on it but it's taking a long time.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to use air printing in combination with a POS app?

I visit a mom-and-pop shop that's using iPad as a register. The next time I go, I'll check whether they print receipts and let you know if they do.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By the way, if your POS app generates an on-screen receipt, can you simply take a screen shot (take a photo by clicking on the power and home buttons at the same time on iPad) and air print that? Would require an extra step, but maybe you'd be willing to do that?

goosonano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do i need to buy to make my computer into a cash register, so i don't have to buy separate cash register?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do i need to buy to make my computer into a cash register, so i don't have to buy separate cash register?

I don't know what type of computer you're talking about, but this company is trying to turn mobile devices into cash registers:

https://squareup.com/

I am not affiliated with them. I read about them, is all.

Most reactions