What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as a remote webcam?

K. Arthur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to - use a home computer to activate the camera on an ipad in a different location and view real time video of what the ipad sees? - Thanks.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use FaceTime to do that. Just call your iphone on the ipad and watch. Cheapest option. There are others in the App Store but I have tested none. You try them if they fit your needs. From computer to iOS device try Pocketcam lite (free) but in black and white and you pay for colour version in th App Store. Actually I might try it when I get home.

Last edited:
OP
K

K. Arthur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redjupiter - thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to respond. The Pocketcam software works in wireless range, but I don't think (unless I misunderstood their tech specs) it works over the internet, which is what I want to achieve. I have been searching the internet for three days now and so far have failed to find a lead which will provide me with - The ability to activate an Ipad camera remotely and pick up the feed using facetime,icloud,skype via the web to my home computer. It must be possible , however finding someone who will admit to doing it - is proving quite a challenge. Anyway, thanks for your input, much appreciated .K. Arthur.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redjupiter - thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to respond. The Pocketcam software works in wireless range, but I don't think (unless I misunderstood their tech specs) it works over the internet, which is what I want to achieve. I have been searching the internet for three days now and so far have failed to find a lead which will provide me with - The ability to activate an Ipad camera remotely and pick up the feed using facetime,icloud,skype via the web to my home computer. It must be possible , however finding someone who will admit to doing it - is proving quite a challenge. Anyway, thanks for your input, much appreciated .K. Arthur.
Yeah you are right. I tried it and it only works over wifi and needs to connect to some kind of server. I'll keep searching. Looks like you control other devices but not iOS unless you get an iOS camera and control that instead.

Last edited:
OP
K

K. Arthur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Redjupiter - Considering the fact that you can Skype with an ipad and have a two way video link - it seems I cannot find a way of remotely starting an ipad camera - would be brilliant to work it out and actually make it happen don't you think?

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep I think it would be cool if someone stole my ipad/iPhone then maybe I can have a way to activate the camera and spy on him -:) I am sure I have seen something but for the life of me I cannot remember.

Most reactions