What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as a GPS

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for a GPS app for my JB iPad2. I have of course found a few and have installed a couple, MotionX and thinking about Navigon.

But:
I am really looking for an app that will let me plan a route on the PC and then install it on the iPad. I'm doing this now with MapSource and a Garmin 2610.

On another forum a member said that he thought that it was possible with a JB iPad? Any one have any information?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can plan your route from the app, directly on the iPad, without having to first do it on a PC, then transferring it to the iPad. You don't need a jailbroken iPad to do it, either.

Last edited:

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am really looking for an app that will let me plan a route on the PC and then install it on the iPad. I'm doing this now with MapSource and a Garmin 2610.
By plan a route on your PC, do you mean be able to specify taking certain roads versus what the program calculates your route should be?

OP
superfish

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Matmilw, you are correct. Using the Garmin 2610 and a program called mapsource I can plan a route on my PC and then transfer it to my GPS. If I am going on a 5 or 10 day trip I can plan each day at home and then when on the road I call up each segment day by day. Since I am traveling by motorcycle I sometimes want to be on the interstate and others on the back roads with specific points of interest. It's really not practicle to do this in a tent on the iPad.

The mapping programs for the iPad are so advanced compared to my GPS I would really like to travel using the iPad. So far I have not found any APP that allowes me to import routes from the PC.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Off topic so I apologize, I wish I had my iPad or a mini when I had my bike to put in the tank bag to see GPS info while on the road. Great idea.

Most reactions

Latest posts