iPad as a GPS

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by superfish, Dec 5, 2012.

1. superfish

superfish iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm looking for a GPS app for my JB iPad2. I have of course found a few and have installed a couple, MotionX and thinking about Navigon.

But:
    I am really looking for an app that will let me plan a route on the PC and then install it on the iPad. I'm doing this now with MapSource and a Garmin 2610.

On another forum a member said that he thought that it was possible with a JB iPad? Any one have any information?

2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,371 / 2
    You can plan your route from the app, directly on the iPad, without having to first do it on a PC, then transferring it to the iPad. You don't need a jailbroken iPad to do it, either.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. Mattmilw

Mattmilw iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    By plan a route on your PC, do you mean be able to specify taking certain roads versus what the program calculates your route should be?

4. superfish

superfish iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes, Matmilw, you are correct. Using the Garmin 2610 and a program called mapsource I can plan a route on my PC and then transfer it to my GPS. If I am going on a 5 or 10 day trip I can plan each day at home and then when on the road I call up each segment day by day. Since I am traveling by motorcycle I sometimes want to be on the interstate and others on the back roads with specific points of interest. It's really not practicle to do this in a tent on the iPad.

The mapping programs for the iPad are so advanced compared to my GPS I would really like to travel using the iPad. So far I have not found any APP that allowes me to import routes from the PC.

5. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    Off topic so I apologize, I wish I had my iPad or a mini when I had my bike to put in the tank bag to see GPS info while on the road. Great idea.