What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Apps quite loading

OlympicRef

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Periodically my iPad apps will not load. The icon is visible, but when I click on it nothing happens. The only solution is to delete the app and reload; what a pain in the ass. Why does this happen?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are not familiar with these common fixes, you should give them a try first; before resorting to re-installing the app.

-------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
O

OlympicRef

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried both and neither helps. A lot of my apps do this. Is this a common problem with others?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is common for it to happen now and then, but it should not happen frequently. Much depends on the apps themselves. Poorly written apps crash a lot, and will not restart properly until you clear them from RAM. It's also happening more frequently with the iPad 1.

Apps are getting larger and the iPad 1 has the least memory. App crashing is almost always memory related (so I'm told). Poorly written apps have memory leaks (they keep gobbling up memory). The less RAM you have the more quickly iOS will disable a bad app in order to keep it from crashing the entire iPad.

Still, what you are reporting is not typical. Clearing the app from memory or restarting the iPad should do the trick. It may be necessary to restore the iPad (not from backup). But if you're near an Apple store I'd have a talk with an Apple Genius first.

OP
O

OlympicRef

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the apps that does this is iPhoto, so the answer isn't poorly written apps!

Most reactions