What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad applications do not work

Longhorn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad applications will not fully execute, then shut off. :confused: For example, when i activiate my email the first page begins to populate then without warning it shuts off and i am back of the main page. The same thing happens with virtually every other application.

Has this happened to anyone? if so, can you recommend a fix or solution?

Thanks in advance.....

Longhorn

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a new problem or have you had this issue ever since you had the iPad. If it's a new problem then the usual 'fix' for this (and a range of other 'unexplained' problems) is to completely turn off the iPad (rather than putting it into 'sleep' mode, which is what most people do).

I'm sure you know how to completely turn it off but just in case....

Press *and hold* the 'Power' button until slider control appears on the screen asking whether you really want to switch the iPad off. Accept by sliding the control and a rotating white 'bezel' appears as the iPad powers down. This takes about 10 seconds. Once the screen has gone completely blank turn the iPad on again. Press *and hold* the 'Power' button until a white Apple icon appears. The iPad is now powering up. This takes about 10 seconds. During the power up process the white Apple icon stays on the screen but the automatic screen orientation is disabled, so don't panic! Just before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little 'jingle' and then you're back to your 'Home' screen.

Don't have any concerns about this 'power down' and 'power up' procedure, it's completely 'normal' and, in any case, if you go the Apple web site you'll see that they recommend that you do this about once a week in any case. Many Forum members, too, always completely switch their iPads off when they've finished using them, rather than putting them into 'Sleep' mode.

See whether this fixes your problem. Most Forum members have found this procedure to be a good first step to fixing problems with the iPad - it's no more than 'rebooting' your PC, which most of us do if anything 'unusual' happens.

If the problem still persists, don't hesitate to get back to us; I'm sure that Forum members will have some other ideas.

Tim
Scotland

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad applications will not fully execute, then shut off. :confused: For example, when i activiate my email the first page begins to populate then without warning it shuts off and i am back of the main page.

The iPad OS will automatically shut down any app when it detects that it's consuming too much system resources, e.g. RAM is running low.

If you have a persistent problem running apps, turning it off and on by holding down the sleep/wake button for 10 secs (as described above) should fix it. If not, you can reset it as well -- iPad: Turning on/off and resetting

Most reactions