What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad & apple newbie. Basic question

qbektrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am total windows user till I bought my iPad. I am having trouble finding my way. I basically use iPad as an ebook-reader & to watch sitcoms.
I want to store all my files(PDF, pptx, docx) in one folder categories in to topics. One folder will have a combination of all files types. In PDF I want to annotate(highlight the text & jot some notes). In the end, I want everything to be stored in one place so that I can sync it with my pc. From what I saw, every app want to store the file in their own folder and there is no single place to keep all my files, like in windows where the file is used from it's location by the app and it remains there itself.
As for sitcoms, I download it to my pc & the folder is shared so that I can just open the file from my laptop & watch it. All my files are in avi. How can I do it in iPad?
Another thing, why is there no arrow for up & down. Like when I am typing this post and I want to go to the line above & my fat finger is making it tough to tap of the exact word I want to edit.

I have jail broken my 4.2.1 iPad. Pls guide me. If this is already explained, pls provide me the link to the post.

Thank you.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am total windows user till I bought my iPad. I am having trouble finding my way. I basically use iPad as an ebook-reader & to watch sitcoms.
I want to store all my files(PDF, pptx, docx) in one folder categories in to topics. One folder will have a combination of all files types. In PDF I want to annotate(highlight the text & jot some notes). In the end, I want everything to be stored in one place so that I can sync it with my pc. From what I saw, every app want to store the file in their own folder and there is no single place to keep all my files, like in windows where the file is used from it's location by the app and it remains there itself.
As for sitcoms, I download it to my pc & the folder is shared so that I can just open the file from my laptop & watch it. All my files are in avi. How can I do it in iPad?
Another thing, why is there no arrow for up & down. Like when I am typing this post and I want to go to the line above & my fat finger is making it tough to tap of the exact word I want to edit.

I have jail broken my 4.2.1 iPad. Pls guide me. If this is already explained, pls provide me the link to the post.

Thank you.

To organise the files in the way that you describe you need to download GoodReader - the iPad's 'Swiss Army Knife'. It will allow you to organise your files however you want - with multiple folders etc..From there you can open the files using any compatible application. However, having said that, the application will still make a local copy of the file.

GoodReader allows you too to download/upload files between your PC and iPad using either the iPad's USB cable or WiFi. It can also read PDF files and allows you to annotate them.

If you need cursor keys - then the easiest way is to get a Bluetooth keyboard or Apple keyboard dock - both of which have cursor keys. If you need to move around a page using the on-screen keyboard then, if you touch and hold the page a 'pop up' magnifying glass will appear that makes it easier to position the cursor as well as to select/copy/cut text from a page.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Q

qbektrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim. That was really prompt.
I would like to further ask if you have any solution for issue with viewing movie files from a shred folder on my pc. I read that to use air video, I have install a video streamer in the pc. I don't want that. I just want to be able to open a video player like MPC or VLC and just open the file & watch it. No stream or other complications.
Any solution for my issue?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use oPlayer, which gets good reviews and can read most any video format. Check it out in the App Store to see if it supports the video format that you have. The iPad's native Video app can play quite a few formats too and you can move your video files onto the iPad using GoodReader via USB or WiFi - no need to use your PC or iTunes or synch......

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

OP
Q

qbektrix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main thing is that I don't want to move the file to my iPad. I want to play the file from the shared folder of the PC itself without any extra software.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The main thing is that I don't want to move the file to my iPad. I want to play the file from the shared folder of the PC itself without any extra software.

There are several apps that will let you do this using the iPad's AirPlay facility.

AirVideo is one - check it out in the App Store - but there are several other ways of doing this.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts