What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad and vga adaptor and PA system

Flynhi66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have aHarbinger110 PA system and have mics, guitars, and ipad plugged in - all works great. But...
When I want to send Visio to the tv and sound to the PA, I get a hum. Read about ground loops and unplugged everything, used same surge-protector and get the hum. Even swapped vga cable for a shielded one. The hum only starts when I plug the vga adaptor into the ipad.

PA------ipad (earphone port). Great sound

PA------ipad (earphone port)----dock-jack--vga-adaptor----cable---tv (hum)

If you want to split audio and video, you have to use vga adaptor.

Checked for noise gate app but could not find anything. Any ideas on options?

Thanks

tanveers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A surge protector is always a good idea when using expensive audio equipment but, your surge protector needs to be grounded itself. In most commercial facilities, I believe that there are about 120 amps running through the electrical system. In any case the electricity through the walls give off a 60Hz tone that can be heard through the audio eqiupment unless you properly have them grounded through a specific channel that has an extended grounding device (Quick Note:These specific outlets are usually marked with an Orange outlet). As for your speaker if you can lift their signal after everything else is properly grounded, them this will also help eliminate interference. Just like a guitar signal, when using a DI box the signal is grounded creating a noise issue and if you hit the lift switch a "hum" noise will be minimal if not disappear completely.

Ben
Lead AV Tech

Most reactions

Latest posts