iPad and USB flash memory card

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by apophesis, Jun 14, 2010.

1. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The images also have to be formatted properly.

The photo app will only show images named IMG_0856.jpg, where 0856 can be any digit you want.

2. Sjwred

Sjwred
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ok,thanks will look into that.cheers".....nice one that worked

#12 Sjwred, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. GlenL

GlenL
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My old Sony camera names it's photo files with DSC-------. does that mean the iPad wouldn't see those files?

4. Spawn_The_Impaler

Spawn_The_Impaler
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    thanks for this post I just got the camera kit I am going to try this and I will get back to you

5. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    That is a good question, to which I know not the answer off.

6. wytey

wytey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    it can read both DSC and IMG files

the dsc file is 108KB 1000 x 750, the img file is 4.93MB 4000 x 3000

loads both fine

#16 wytey, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  7. GlenL

GlenL
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! Now for a follow up question.. Does the filename even matter? I used to have a samsung camera and that had a different name from both of those. And what if somebody wanted to name their files to something descriptive, which a lot of people do.

8. Jamboy

Jamboy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Things have changed

I posted last year that it using the camera kit with a thumb drive and folder DCIM worked great. It did ... until the upgrade to iOS 4. Apple seriously limited the power that the connection port from ~900 mA to ~200 mA. Very few USB devices can operate at this low level and need external power. I had been able to use a Sandisk Cruzer before but now it does not work. The USB connector is useless unless you are directly connecting your camera and it supplies the power. The SD card connector still works because it is just reading a flash card. This limitation requires the use of a dedicated camera USB cable and the battery drain to transfer pictures or using an SD card only that has been removed from some device. You could use a PC but why even offer such a limited camera kit. I know it is a very raw spot for professional photographers, who typically use compact flash cards and were using unpowered USB devices to load pictures to view and/or edit without the need for a computer or wasting battery power on their cameras. As for importing from a Sony camera, yes the Ipad does recognize the DSC files, but since Sony cameras use MS Pro storage, it is the same scenario of using your cameras USB cable and waste power or upload your pictures to a computer and transfer them via the Apple USB cable or copy them to a SD card.

I like that I can do it by fooling the Ipad using a simple DCIM folder but I don't like the idea that Apple altered the technical aspects of the Ipad (without any notice or documentation) so that one of its ancillary products is severely limited. Apple is reaping the rewards for the creativity and application of the Ipad in areas they never could have anticipated it being used. I find it distasteful that in an effort to control what peripheral devices could be used it even diminishes the utility of its own product.

9. wytey

wytey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    the filename does matter, anything other than those it will not recognise

shame really, like you say, renaming pics to something more descriptive is what a lot of people do, me included

@ Jamboy

indeed, i have a load of thumb drives, but only 1 works :(

10. Sjwred

Sjwred
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I forgot,what format on video does the iPad work on? I filmed my little one learning on her bike from a camcorder us a disc I would like it on my iPad