iPad and travel external HD

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by doogle510, Mar 7, 2011.

1. AJsAWiz

AJsAWiz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Now, that's very nice!

2. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    There's one thing nagging me though. How come these guys have managed to make the iPad see the drive and no one has in almost a year? Is what they say it can do legitimate? Does it need an app to run?...

3. bobmielke

bobmielke
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    By coincidence I just purchased a 250 Gig HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA from Amazon.com to do exactly the same thing you suggest. There's a special 120 Gig version design specifically to transfer photos to your iPad. I have scheduled a 9 day Green Tortoise bus tour of the Canyons of the West for July. The hyperdrive is the fastest backup device on the market, is rechargeable & will allow you to copy the full 250 Gigs on a single charge. It has the two most common memory card readers onboard. Another alternative I have coming in an Eye-Fi memory card with built-in wi-fi that uploads your photos to your computer or online storage site when you are within range of a wi-fi hotspot, ie, Starbucks, McDonalds, any motel, etc.

#13 bobmielke, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. doogle510

doogle510
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yea I agree with you there, makes no sense

5. bobmielke

bobmielke
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hey, there are free phone apps now (Whistle) and a GPS unit that plugs into the iPad. There's an Eye-Fi SD memory card with a built in wi-fi network transmitter that uploads a camera's photos to your computer or online storage site. Stuff has come a long way to a point where you have to start questioning the need for a laptop anymore. :)

#15 bobmielke, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. ChileRick

ChileRick
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    ...or, just buy more memory cards, they are the cheapest storage. We dumped 4500 pics ( mostly 8 to 15 MP jpg's ) on our 32 last year. Along with a few movies and a bunch of books. No prob. In fact still have the images on the cards. Plus if you are vacationing in civilization, you can always get them burned to a disc at a Walgreens!

7. Fenriq007

Fenriq007
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi why don't you use an online back up service like dropbox iDisk or even piccassa to upload your pictures on to. That's what I do when I'm away. From my dslr to my iPad keep some that I like on the iPad and upload the rest to dropbox and then when I get home they are automatically synced to my desktop.

8. greygoose

greygoose
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What type of phone do you have? It turns out I already have a solution for myself and I didn't even realize it :)

I have a Nokia N8 phone. It has USB host capabilities. I can connect USB hubs, thumb drives, card reader or an external HD with included cables.