What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Styluses

Pebbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an iPad but am getting really confused regarding styluses. I keep reading that you can only use certain types of stylus with the iPad as it has a capacitive screen. I have been using an Android Flytouch Tablet for a few weeks which also has a capacitive screen and I have been able to use it with the stylus which came with my Nokia mobile, the one from my DS Lite plus replacement styluses I bought on eBay in case I lost the ones from my mobile or DS Lite.

As they are both capacitive screens, why won't any stylus work with the iPad?

Thanks.

Pebbles

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an iPad but am getting really confused regarding styluses. I keep reading that you can only use certain types of stylus with the iPad as it has a capacitive screen. I have been using an Android Flytouch Tablet for a few weeks which also has a capacitive screen and I have been able to use it with the stylus which came with my Nokia mobile, the one from my DS Lite plus replacement styluses I bought on eBay in case I lost the ones from my mobile or DS Lite.

As they are both capacitive screens, why won't any stylus work with the iPad?

Thanks.

Pebbles

As far as I know any stylus that works on one capacitive screen will work on the iPad. You may be confused by references to styluses designed for devices with pressure sensitive screens. Those will not work on an iPad.

The "capacitive" term refers to a screen that is able to sense a touch that disrupts the electromagnetic field on the screen. A finger does this. So do various types of conductive material used for capacitive styluses. (e.g. foam, rubber, conductive fabric.)

There are a number of advantages of a capacitive screen interface including cost, the ability to use one's finger rather than a special stylus device, and the very light touch required.

Like all technologies, however, there are disadvantages. The most prominent is that a pinpoint touch cannot be easily recognized. Thus, while the finger works well, a pointed device does not. That, by the way is why the hope that styluses will "improve" to be more "pen-like" is probably futile.

I believe (but I'm a little hazy) that capacitive screens can be designed (with additional technology) to detect the amount of pressure applied. But that is more expensive and is not supported on the iPad.

Bottom line is that if you have a stylus that works on most smartphones (e.g. Android devices), it should work fine on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts