What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and Safari search history

max2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there anyway to disable google.com from saving your search history ? Thanks. It is just annoying if not no big deal.

Or should I stop using google lol ?

OP
M

max2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also I am not logged in to google.

OP
M

max2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMG_0001.PNG

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do need a Google ID or GMail address to access your personal settings. If you do not have those, then you probably do not have a joined-up history as such, if you clear the local history.

OP
M

max2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do need a Google ID or GMail address to access your personal settings. If you do not have those, then you probably do not have a joined-up history as such, if you clear the local history.

So are you saying there is no way to disable this unless I have a Google ID or GMail address ?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I said, if you do not have a Google ID, you probably haven’t got a full history of searches - just the temporary history which is easy to clear. Even a Google ID holder with history paused has to clear local searches.

OP
M

max2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said, if you do not have a Google ID, you probably haven’t got a full history of searches - just the temporary history which is easy to clear.

So how to I stop the temporary history from ever happening then ?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can’t stop Google temporary history. Most search engines will save your history. You could, of course, use Safari in Privacy Mode, which suspends history.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Or you could switch to a more privacy oriented search engine like DuckDuckGo.com

It’s possible to make it your default search engine in Settings > Safari.

Not that this will stop all tracking/history. Pretty much any page with a Google, FaceBook, or other big social widget does some kind of tracking. The best defense against this is the Privacy Mode mentioned by Jupiter7.

Apple is supposed to be offering some kind of blocking for these widgets in iOS 12. Should cause some howls of outrage from advertisers and social sites.

0736C7D8-1D5E-4491-9D9E-85F11A1B520A.png

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe in settings you can clear your history for everything you do on the internet. But it always comes back no matter what.

sammartin8935

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could use the Incognito mode. It wont save any info, may it be the password, search history or download history etc.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should read through the thread before posting, so that you don’t repeat what has already been suggested.

Most reactions

Latest posts