What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad and RSS Feeds

ColonelBuffB52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK guys, I'm new. Trying to get RSS feeds on my IPad. There was a link to set up RSS feeds on a sight I was looking at for job notifications. I clicked on it and IPad said it was an RSS feed and asked if I wanted to search the store for RSS readers. I said "yes", but it gave me an error message. I searched by myself, and found and downloaded "FeeddlerRSS" and set it up. However, when I click on the original link on the web page, it still asks me the same question about wanting to look in the store for a reader. HOW do I set this up so I get RSS feeds? Do I have go do it from within FeeddlerRSS? If so, how? Thanks!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reeder was free latest time I looked. That should do what you require. I use it on the Mac, not the iPad so can't tell you much about it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try this.

In Safari, tap and hold on the RSS link icon or link. When the popup menu appears choose Copy. Go to your rss reader app, do whatever it wants to add a new feed. Tap and hold in the text entry box, then choose Paste from the popup menu.

This should work, but no guarantees.

Currently the only choice I'm getting when trying to open RSS feeds from Safari is Podcast. That's probably because I don't have an RSS app that supports direct feed entry.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Reeder was free latest time I looked. That should do what you require. I use it on the Mac, not the iPad so can't tell you much about it.

Reeder on the Mac and iPhone support a few different account types. However, on the iPad it is limited to syncing with Google Reader. This is due to change soon, since Google Reader is going away, but for now you can't enter RSS feeds manually. You have to add them to Google Reeder from the website.

I love Reeder, so I'm going to hang on to it and see what happens. They've promised support for quite a few RSS services. I'll make my choice on services and apps when the dust settles a bit. Lots of sites and services are scrambling to fill the gap Google Reader is going to leave.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So still none of this is local? I'm asking because a while ago I was also looking for a *local* RSS reader (i.e. one which would allow me to import/export OPML file, and schedule feeds check locally, without having to set up any external accounts such as Google Reader). Seemed like everything was working thru Google Reader only.
And even now, with Google Reader going away and everyone praising Feedly, I can see that Feedly doesn't have that option (it can just get feeds from, well, Google Reader...).
(Gosh, how hard could it be to add local import/export option...)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problem is that Google Reader was pretty good, and completely free. It pretty much killed the market for other RSS service providers, and because the API was also free most apps tied themselves to it as well. Now that it is going away a lot of the little players who were lurking in the corners are scrambling to fill the gap. There are several promising new services and RSS readers popping up.

Do a Google search (irony) for Google Reader Replacement, and you will find dozens of articles with suggestion; though they tend to be the same 10 services and news readers, over and over again.

What I have not seen yet is one that works and syncs on all my devices and computers. Best I've seen so far is two out of three. That's why I'm waiting to see what Reeder does. That and I'm really used to how the app works and don't want to learn a new interface. lazy ;)

Most reactions