iPad and pics

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Bayport, Mar 21, 2012.

1. New2TheGame

New2TheGame
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    What about uploading to icloud

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Unlike DropBox or most other cloud services, iCloud does not provide a general file system for documents. To upload a document to iCloud, you need an app specifically made to save document in iCloud. More importantly, you need that same app/developer to retrieve those documents.

iCloud is not a file sharing/storing service. At least not at this time. Who knows what they will add eventually.

3. oberkc

oberkc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My quick experiment was:

a) use PC (windows 8) to create a file on an SD card called "dcim". Add photo
    b) put SD card into CCK and iPad2
    c) attempt to read photo.

The experiment failed. I have made no attempt at variations or troubleshooting.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The file names of the pictures also have to meet the naming convention. 8 characters maximum and usually something like IMGxxxx.jpg

To make sure the SD card is formatted correctly it is best to format it in the camera (where the DCIM directory will be created for you). Formatting on the computer can result in something other than the FAT format (which if memory serves is the standard used by most cameras).

All in all, it is a pain to copy pictures from a computer to the iPad using SD cards, which is why most of us use alternate tools like PhotoSync (no hyphen).

5. oberkc

oberkc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I agree that, for me, there are easier ways to move pictures to the ipad. Whether this is true for all, I cannot say.

But, I think the original question concerned moving of pictures via sd cards formatted by a computer and that was the question I was trying to address. naming them something that starts with img could help. I find this very possible.

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Sorry. It's been over a year since the question was asked, and I did not review the original post before replying.

#16 twerppoet, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. oberkc

oberkc
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No reason for apology. The fault is mine. I think I may be in the wrong thread.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The OP did mention using SD cards to copy photos from the computer to the iPad, so you're on topic, and people often do find these threads years later, so it's not unreasonable to post general info, especially updated info.

It's all good, or goodish anyway. :)

9. kobyypedley

kobyypedley
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I can only transfer pics via cable or iCloud. :)