What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD and Outlook

danhcross

iPF Noob
Reaction score
... just downloaded the Windows icloud control panel. It claims it can configure Outlook, but whenever I check off the mail and calendar options, it tells me that there is "no default profile" option selected in Outlook. I checked my profiles in the Windows control panel, and it is set to use a default, so I don't know what it's referring to. I tried to manually enter in the icloud @me address, but the server failed to set it up.

Not impressed. Is this sort of problem beneath Apple?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried looking in your Outlook preferences to see if it is possible to set a default account/profile/etc.? If you have more than one email account set up in Outlook, it would need some way of knowing which account to sync with.

OP
D

danhcross

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Have you tried looking in your Outlook preferences to see if it is possible to set a default account/profile/etc.? If you have more than one email account set up in Outlook, it would need some way of knowing which account to sync with.

Yes. You can control whether Outlook asks which profile you want or if it musts licks one by default by going into the control panel (windows 7), clicking on "mail" and looking there. The first account you'll see is the default one created at time of installation. I tried to change the defaults, add the iCloud manually, or by using the iCloud control panel, but neither worked.

I have seen the apple thread posted above. I am still curious as to why Apples control panel software does not work. I will ask them...

OP
D

danhcross

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I'll just wait until Apple fixes their so-called automatic setup app with icloud control panel. If I were in a hurry, I'd go to some more trouble to manually configure, but I want to see the icloud control panel work the way it's supposed to. I'll just try back in a month. I expected more of Apple.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Apple tends to move on faster than many companies, and syncing with a proprietary program on a computer isn't just a pain to maintain, it is quickly becoming outdated. Outlook is no longer the elephant in the room, and I doubt Apple will pay more than passing attention to it in the future. Online services and cloud syncing is where things are moving, and I expect it is where Apple will spend most of it's resources when it comes to development and tweaking.

GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, and even iCloud; this is where things are going. These days a computer client is more about syncing with and customizing the UI, not creating and maintaining it's own proprietary data.

So, if it's important to you, you might want to start thinking about what you are going to do if Apple doesn't decide supporting direct Outlook syncing is worthwhile.

You can always choose to sync your Outlook to an online service like Google, and sync the iPad to Google. It's what many do.

sig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting ready to throw my Blackberry against the wall Looking at Iphone 4s and Ipad for calander and email and sync with amicus attorney suggestions?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am getting ready to throw my Blackberry against the wall Looking at Iphone 4s and Ipad for calander and email and sync with amicus attorney suggestions?

You would be better off starting your own thread with that question, either in the Help or Apps area would work best. I believe there are a few other members in the legal profession here. They might be able to help you, and are far more likely to see a new thread than read one they may have already decided is not of interest to them.

Only start one thread in one area. It's in the rules. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts