What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and iTunes don't agree on free space...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a little bit of an App problem... As in I'm actually embraced by how many I have, and that's the space issue. Well that and books, but I deleted all of those in an effort to free space! I reclaimed a GB from that yesterday!

Something weird happened over night. Seriously... I posted the images, with my free space. And iPhotos was taking up 3gb. I went to bed, and all was the same. I read for a couple of hours, and then went to sleep. I woke up, read your post and went to the usage thingy, and now iPhotos is taking up only 1.4gb. I have no idea what my ipad was doing last night while I was sleeping o_O

Anyway! As I said. Too many apps! But I screen shot them all! Of course this now means the numbers are all screwy again. iTunes now says 6.8, and the iPad says 4.4...

So here's my screen shots!! Sorry there are so many... And yes, I'm going to do a mass delete, even though I love my apps!! I need space to put all the book back on......

Thanks for responding to my questions for the storage - as you have already learned, your apps are taking up a LOT of storage, so deletion of those you use rarely is your best choice - after your purge ;) , let us see another iTunes bar graft of your storage; and keep in mind my post about the different GB definitions.

As to the image storage change - not sure, but best to have less space used - hope you did not lose any valuble pics? Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Luckily I leant a long time ago, when my laptop had a fatal hard drive crash and I lost the dissertation I was in the middle of writing, that backing up is a must!! Now I back up, and then back up the back ups! Extreme, but it's saved my butt several times over! And luckily my brother managed to save a quarter of the dissertation too, although I lost all the images and had to reformat the text and take out all the junk that was stuck in it... Lesson well learnt!! So although I did lose some valuable pics, I now have them back again!! Well the were mostly of my dog, but he's valuable!! And cute!!

Probably also need to delete a ton of stuff off my laptop... I'm almost out of space on here too... Oh god! I'm an electronic Hoarder!!

Anyway... Thanks again for all your help. I guess it's best to go by what the iPad says is free. It's weird that the amount that the apps take up is the same, and it's just the amount of free space they don't agree on, but of well!! I don't wanna purge!! I love my apps!! But you are right :D And purge I shall! I just can't decide! Probably shouldn't point out that I downloaded ep 3 of republique late last night, so that's now taking up even more space... But the closer I get to completing it the quicker I can delete it!!

Aerated I just spent the last hour deleting the apps... And I plugged it in to sync it, and the stupid computer put half of them back on as soon as I plugged it in! Now I have to delete them all over again!! In fact every time I sync, it puts at least one back o_O It's a sign! It's saying "Do not delete your apps!!"

Well with the one that won't delete, which is a 400mb one, I'm now up to 5.1GB free according to the iPad.... I need to purge more huh... but when I delete Republique, it'll free up another 3GB.

Thanks again for all your help. You are amazing!!

Oh and here's my new iTunes bar thingy screenshot!!

Screen Shot 2015-05-08 at 13.52.54.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Probably also need to delete a ton of stuff off my laptop... I'm almost out of space on here too... Oh god! I'm an electronic Hoarder!!

Hi again - been on a short vacation and just returned this afternoon - not sure if you have a PC or a Mac computer, but if the latter, a great forum to join is the Mac Forums - I'm RadDave there! Backup is crucial - have an iMac & MBPro and I do redundant Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloned backups, plus personal folders to Carbonite on the iMac and to an external SSD on my laptop. :)

Anyway... Thanks again for all your help. I guess it's best to go by what the iPad says is free. It's weird that the amount that the apps take up is the same, and it's just the amount of free space they don't agree on, but of well!! I don't wanna purge!! I love my apps!! But you are right - And purge I shall! I just can't decide! Probably shouldn't point out that I downloaded ep 3 of republique late last night, so that's now taking up even more space... But the closer I get to completing it the quicker I can delete it!!

Aerated I just spent the last hour deleting the apps... And I plugged it in to sync it, and the stupid computer put half of them back on as soon as I plugged it in! Now I have to delete them all over again!! In fact every time I sync, it puts at least one back. It's a sign! It's saying "Do not delete your apps!!"

Well, when I plug my iPad Air 2 into my laptop, I just do a backup - really dislike the automatic sync behavior of this app and likely to explain why you are getting those apps put back onto your iPad - now you can go into iTunes and delete the apps permanently from your computer - of course, if they were free or even paid apps, you can always re-download them - but keep in mind that if the app(s) has stored data, the latter will be lost on deletion.

BTW - your storage bar does look a little better - congrats! Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
lol! I hope you had a nice short vacation!

I have a MacBook Pro. I'm an apple girl through and through ;) I was never so happy as the day I abandoned windows once and for all!

I also use a time capsule. Trouble is it take forever to back up. 50gb and it took all day to get to 40gb so I had to turn it off and try again. I need the wire thingy to plug it in, but i can't currently get to it. I have no idea what is up with my wifi and Internet, but they suck so bad. But that's a whole other kettle of fish!

I'm definitely going to get out the Mac forum you mentioned! I have problems out the wazoo, mostly space related! My brother is a computer genius, but he will have nothing to do with apple. Only got him to touch my MacBook today for the first time since I got it years ago and that was just to scroll on safari, so I'm kinda on my own with issues!

I'm still having one small iPad problem though, and I wonder if you've heard of it. I mentioned it before. When I stream from my cloud, the "other" storage increases, but it doesn't decrease again. There's nothing I can do to get it to go down unless I restore to factory and the restore from backup. It's not downloading it, so I can't delete it like normal videos, but it's taking up phantom space. Is that normal??

Thanks again for all your help and advice! You are awesome!

Most reactions

Latest posts