What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad and iPod USB cable compatibility

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Like, I think, many of you, I have, along with my brand new iPad, also an iPod Mini who seems to share the same connector used to attach to the USB port as well as to recharge the battery.

Is there anyone who knows if the two connectors are interchangeable? If so, would be nice to have a spare cable, for instance, to use it at the office instead of carrying the original iPad cable back and forth from home.

From a fast investigation in Google it seems that the connector is the same (same shape and same pin map) but I am afraid to fry my iPad to verify it, so if someone has a reliable answer, please share it.

Thanks in advance.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mbagni said:
Hi all,

Like, I think, many of you, I have, along with my brand new iPad, also an iPod Mini who seems to share the same connector used to attach to the USB port as well as to recharge the battery.

Is there anyone who knows if the two connectors are interchangeable? If so, would be nice to have a spare cable, for instance, to use it at the office instead of carrying the original iPad cable back and forth from home.

From a fast investigation in Google it seems that the connector is the same (same shape and same pin map) but I am afraid to fry my iPad to verify it, so if someone has a reliable answer, please share it.

Thanks in advance.

I don't specifically have a mini yet have numerous iTouch's, an iPhone, and other iPods and iPads and we are always sharing/swapping cords etc. I truly believe all are identical in form/function.

Reaction score
The USB cables have the same 30pin connector opening, so one will fit both devices.

Just a word of caution, coming from personal experience. The iPod USB cable is built slightly different and snaps into the device, so you have to push the sides to release it, whereas the iPad cable can be pulled out directly. The brain get's used to simply pulling out the cable from the iPad, so when I used the iPod cable, I ended up panicking, assuming the USB cable got stuck in the iPad ;)

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The USB cables have the same 30pin connector opening, so one will fit both devices.

Just a word of caution, coming from personal experience. The iPod USB cable is built slightly different and snaps into the device, so you have to push the sides to release it, whereas the iPad cable can be pulled out directly. The brain get's used to simply pulling out the cable from the iPad, so when I used the iPod cable, I ended up panicking, assuming the USB cable got stuck in the iPad ;)

Very good point!

My wife's "Classic" iPod cord is a lock in type as you mentioned - that one only I use. I remember thinking/picturing my kids pulling with all they had trying to remove it..... Eeeeeek.

OP
Mbagni

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all!

Now that I am comforted by your direct experience I will plug my "apple" using both cords.

One spare cable found thanks to the consistency of the Apple's engineers!

Most reactions

Latest posts